Fraserburgh and district councillor Charles Buchan was unopposed last Tuesday as he voiced his concerns about the proposed, new children’s home at Scalloway Park.
The newest of the Fraserburgh councillors told Banff and Buchan Area Committee on November 6 that he felt that the proposal would adversely affect the local area, finding a seconder in his motion to refuse the application in Councillor Michael Watt.
Speaking at the meeting on Tuesday, Councillor Buchan said: “There has been a lot of discussion and talk on non-planning issues, like it would be more economical to develop the old building.
“I would tend to object on the grounds of the effect on the local area,” adding that the proposed home would not be in keeping with the character of the surrounding area and the impact on the amenities of neighbouring properties would be significant.
No other councillor from Banff and Buchan opposed Councillor Buchan’s points, resulting in the proposal being rejected by the Banff and Buchan Area Committee.
The application was previously deferred so that the councillors could visit the site of the proposed children’s home.
The single-floor replacement home would have been able to house up to six children.
The plans would have also seen the current children’s home at Scalloway Park be replaced with the a modern complex featuring eight bedrooms, two of which for staff, office space, a lounge, a multi-purpose room and a kitchen and dining area.
The smaller, single storey building was to be, as referenced to in a report to the Banff and Buchan Area Committee, a “‘home from home’ and have the appearance and setting of a private residential house, with additional provision of security and safety.”
The planning application was also for a biomass boiler.