Shaun Ritchie case “still open” 2 years on

Shaun Ritchie
Shaun Ritchie

Police officers are still investigating the disappearance of Fraserburgh man Shaun Ritchie two years from the day he went missing.

Shaun, 22, was last seen near a farm in the Strichen area on Halloween night 2014 and was reported missing two days later on November 2.

Despite one of the largest missing operations in Police Scotland history Shaun has never been found.

Police investigating the disappearance have said that the case remains open however they say that no evidence has been found to suggest foul play.

Shaun’s parents have repeatedly claimed that their son was murdered.

Detective Chief Inspector Matt Mackay, who is leading the investigation, said: “It’s been two years since Shaun went missing and I appreciate that his family want closure and that as time goes on the not knowing what happened to him becomes increasingly difficult to come to terms with.

“I can provide every assurance that the case remains open and that we will act on any new information provided to us.”

DCI Mackay added: “We continue to keep an open mind as to the circumstances surrounding Shaun’s disappearance, however I would stress once again that there is no evidence so far to suggest that he has been the victim of any crime.”

Clothing belonging to Shaun was found during the early stages of the investigation but despite a manhunt involving over 200 specialist officers Shaun’s disappearance remains unsolved.

The case is now being reviewed by the Major Investigation Team in Glasgow.

DCI Mackay said: “As is the case in all significant cases like this one, the enquiry in its entirety has been reviewed by the Major Investigation Team based in Glasgow and the search activity fully reviewed by Police Scotland specialist search advisors and the National Crime Agency lead search advisor, all of which have concluded that this remains a missing person inquiry.”