Bellslea hit six to go top

IN THE Deejays Nightclub League, Bellslea entertained Elizabethan Link Up and the home side went back to the top of the league after scoring six goals without reply.

The goals were scored by Jamie Buchan with a hatrick and one apiece from Lewis Tait, Lee Noble and Stewart Whyte.

Panasonic Tavern faced in-form Invercairn United and the visitors took the lead on seven minutes with a goal from Gilbert Patterson Jnr. It stayed that way until the 56th minute when the visitors were awarded a penalty. Gilbert Patterson Jnr sent the keeper the wrong way to double their lead.

A few minutes later it was 3-0 when a long ball forward fell to Jamie martin who lobbed the out-rushing keeper sending the ball into an empty net. Invercairn were then reduced to ten men after Gilbert Patterson Jnr picked up a second caution.

St Combs had Rosehearty Thistle as opponents and a mistake from the visitors’ keeper let in Niall Buchan to score. Shortly afterwards Barry Shepard drew the visitors level.

On 20 minutes the away side were reduced to ten men after Paul Downie was sent off. Dan Callaghan fired home the resulting penalty. Joe Dollman made it three when he volleyed home a corner. David Buchan, Eric John West and Niall Buchan added another three before half time.

John Smith headed home a seventh after a Callaghan header came back off the bar and he was on hand to score. David Buchan added an eighth before the goal of the game came when a sweeping move from back to front was made by David Buchan. Dan Callaghan played Buchan down the left and his cross went over the keeper and John Smith came rushing in to fire home.

Mormond Thistle had home advantage over Clinton Thistle and in a high scoring match the away side came out winners by 6-3. The winning goals came from Matthew Cowe with a hatrick, a brace from Scott Milne and one from Stuart Fowlie and for the home side were Michael Sutherland with a brace and the other from Neil Thomson.

Panasonic Tavern faced New Deer in a league game and this one was always going to be close and it was proved that way with only a single goal being scored by the home side when Dane Ballard hit the net with only two minutes remaining to earn the home side the three points.

St Drostans faced Elizabethan Link Up and it ended up four all in an eight-goal thriller. The home side took a 4-1 lead but the away side hit back scoring three goals to earn themselves a draw.

The away team scorers were Kevin Mair with a brace and one each from Andy McKay and Clint Cassie and for the home team was Alan Anderson with a brace and one from Scott Watt and David Cleary.

In the Victoria Coaches Cup semi-final, Faithlie United entertained Clinton Thistle. There were no early chances as both teams were cancelling each other out.

On 20 minutes a ball over the top of the Faithlie defence found Matthew Cowe but Whylie came out to block. Faithlie nearly drew level after Stephen did well on the edge of the box and he played in Clark but his shot went the wrong side of the post.

A mistake by the Faithlie defence let in Cowe but he blasted high over the bar. The same player came close again but this time it hit the bar. At the other end Clark beat Buchan in a race for the ball and got his shot away but Stewart saved. Clinton took the lead when Scot Milne crossed to the back post where Bob Buchan headed home.

Two minutes later, it was 2-0 when a Peter Ritchie lashed home from the edge of the box. Just before half time McKinnon broke upfield and beat two players but his shot hit the bar.

Into the second half Faithlie pulled one goal back when a karl Noble cross was met by Martin Buchan who fired home to start the comeback. The same two connected shortly after but this time his shot went over the bar.

The home side drew level after a Shepard cross was bundled in at the far post by Danny Reid. Cowe had another good chance when he turned his marker but his shot was deflected wide.

The winner came from Gary Clark and it was a brilliant solo goal as he ran from the half way line past four players and finished in style to complete a brilliant comeback. The final whistle went with great scenes of joy for the young Faithlie side.


Deejays Nightclub League - Bellslea 6, Elizabethan Link Up 0; Panasonic Tavern 0, Invercairn United 3; Mormond Thistle 3, Clinton Thistle 6; St Combs 9, Rosehearty Thistle 1; St Drostans 4, Elizabethan Link Up 4; Panasonic Tavern 1, New Deer 0.

Victoria Coaches Cup semi-final - Faithlie United 3, Clinton Thistle 2.


Tuesday, August 23:

League - Bellslea v Rosehearty Thistle; Cheers v Panasonic Tavern; Clinton Thistle v New Deer; Elizabethan Link Up v Faithlie United (kick-off 7pm).

Victoria Coaches Cup semi-final - Invercairn United v New Pitsligo (kick-off 6.45pm).

Friday, August 26:

Elizabethan Link Up v Cheers (kick-off 7pm).

Saturday, August 27:

Bellslea v Invercairn United; Clinton Thistle v Panasonic Tavern; Rosehearty Thistle v Faithlie United (kick-off 2pm).