Broch lose out in Shire Cup

West scores: Fraserburgh lose out in the Aberdeenshire cup. Picture by David Williamson
West scores: Fraserburgh lose out in the Aberdeenshire cup. Picture by David Williamson

Fraserburgh are out of the Aberdeenshire Cup thanks to a 2-1 defeat to Formartine United.

Former Peterhead captain Bobby Mann netted the winner from the penalty spot with fifteen minutes remaining in an open game which quite frankly, could have gone either way however the North Lodge Park men will face Aberdeen in the last eight.

It was the visitors who made the breakthrough with the first real chance of the game, a high-flighted free-kick was flicked on by Mark Smith which found its way onto Stuart McKay, who lost his marker and steered a low drive just inside the far post. 

However, the scores were level on 20 minutes after a fine intersection of play, Johnny Chalmers used his great vision to pick out Main on the left, his cross to the back post found William West who’s airborne scissor kick was spectacularly kept out by Ross Bremner, but West made no mistake with the second attempt when it eventually fell to him, slotting high into the roof of the net.

 Andrew Bagshaw was a whisker away from putting United back in front with a ‘standing jump’ header which just flashed by the post after managing to squeeze inbetween two Broch defenders.

Another encouraging move from Fraserburgh - who looked settled with the attractive passing game which new boss Kris Hunter has incorporated -  lead to an opportunity just on the stroke of half-time, Main jinked by his man and hammered a shot at Bremner which came back out to Allan Hale but was flagged offside.

Half-Time: Fraserburgh 1-1 Formartine United

The game certainly fizzled out for prolonged periods in the second half with the score finely balanced,  but neither side was really able to get to grips with proceedings at any point, Marc Dickson coming closest in the opening stages of the second period, although his effort dazzled over after leaning back a great deal whilst preparing to shoot. 

But with just quarter of an hour left on the clock, Formartine netted what turned out to be the deciding goal via the penalty spot. Bagshaw was upended whilst turning his marker just inside the area after McKay’s clever dummy pass. Bobby Mann - who was given a predictably ‘warm’ reception by the home crowd considering his previous allegiances - slotted the ball into the bottom corner sending Paul Leask the wrong direction.

The best chance for the Broch to equalise for the second time in the game undoubtedly fell to Jonathan Garden, a testing cross from Hale found the substitute who looked odds-on to head the ball past Bremner however the 19-year-old did not make a clean connection, and United held on to secure their first Cup win over a HFL Club since joining the League, thus condemning Kris Hunter to his first defeat as a Broch manager.

Fraserburgh: Leask, Main, McBride, Bryan Hay, Elrick, Hale, West, Chalmers (Garden 64), Dickson, Morrice, Conway (Noble 64) Unused Subs: Barbour, Neil Hay, Cooper.

Formartine United: Bremner, Knight (Davidson 83), Stuart Smith, Mann, Campbell, McVitie, Bagshaw, Mark Smith, McKay, Robertson, Stephen (Coyle 86). Unused Subs: Soutar, Bailey, Notman.