Broch remain unbeaten in the league and go top

Debut: On loan from Peterhead Peter Alexander Bruce gets stuck in. Picture by David Williamson
Debut: On loan from Peterhead Peter Alexander Bruce gets stuck in. Picture by David Williamson

Fraserburgh took advantage of some surprise results to go top of the Highland League table after three games played in what is looking like an even more competitive set up than ever before.

The Broch were the only side in the Top seven at the start of the day to win.

This encounter was played in sweltering conditions and it was no surprise that both sides took a good while, in fact the first third of the game, to settle into a pattern

Right on the half hour, debutant Peter Alexander Bruce, on a month’s loan from Peterhead, linked up well with strike partner Zak Conway who found himself one on one with Stewart Knight.

The former Vale man got down bravely at the youngster’s feet and the loose ball was played into his safe arms by a defender. However it only took the home side one more minute to break the deadlock Allan Hale ran free on the left and his cross trundled slowly across the face of the goal.

It took a nick off the post and fell perfectly for Robert Morrice to hammer home from six yards despite the attentions of Jordan Main

Four minutes later the Can Cans levelled. Keeper Paul Leask uncharacteristically flapped at a cross from the right by Graham Fraser and midfielder Simon Allan could not believe his luck as he sidefooted into the empty net.

The 2002 Champions came out after half time determined to regain their lead, Robert Morrice forcing a good save from Stewart Knight while at the other end a forceful run from Kyle Scott, back in central midfield, took him away from three home players before his parting shot landed on the roof of the net, much to the home support’s relief.

On the hour, the Broch went 2-1 up.

Peter Alexander Bruce, thoroughly enjoying his debut, took a sliderule pass out right from Willie West, and sent in a fine cross to the near post. Simon Allan running back towards his goal could not avoid connecting. He struck the ball firmly low into his own net meaning he had scored at both ends on the day

Despite being in the lead again the homesters were constantly on the hunt for more goals, Knight foiled Bruce and sub Roy Noble with a fearsome hit right in front of him as well as one right at the end from a rejuvenated Morrice. Just before that incident Paul Leask produced a great late save to foil away sub Matthew Davidson but a draw would have been a travesty on a day when Fraserburgh continued their 100% home League record and they will look forward to visiting Formartine Utd next Saturday with relish.

Fraserburgh manager Kris Hunter was pleased with the performance, saying: “In the first half we played a lot of good football in difficult conditions with the wind. We got a deserved goal and the lead, but the mistake flattened us a wee bit.

“In the second half it would have been a bit of a disaster if we didn’t get something out of the game, the way we got the ball down and tried to play football.

“Our usual strengths are our pace, Peter Aleander Bruce in his first start was fantastic, he typifies what we want at the club, workrate and desire. He did a lot of unselfish running. It was a bit of a shock losing Russell so early but Marc Dickson went in there, he did superb along with Bryan Hay. Forres are a strong physical team but we coped well.

“The crowd sees us trying to create chances, they’re used to that and appreciate the way we’re trying to play. It’s good to watch and the players are enjoying it just now.

“We have Graham Johnston to come back from holiday, one or two others we’re tring to bring in this week, but I’m really pleased with the way the players inherited are performing. The boys we bring in will make a difference as well.”