A well-known New Pitsligo bakery permanently closed it’s doors last week after 113 years of trading with the loss of 25 jobs.
John Smith & Sons has been shut down two years after the Fraserburgh Development Trust took ownership of the business,
The FDT had tried to save the bakery when it’s owner retired but a rejection by the Big Lottery Fund to help finance the business seen the business cease trading operations on Thursday March 24.
Ian Watson, Fraserburgh Development Trust Chairman, said: ““A great deal hinged on the Big Lottery decision, mainly the funding towards the project and the new build, which will sadly not go ahead now.
“Everyone is very disappointed at the outcome, the John Smiths (New Pitsligo) CIC Board, the Fraserburgh Development Trust, employees and all that who have supported the project in New Pitsligo and beyond.”
The closing of the bakery has also seen the instant dismissal of the 25 workers the bakery is believed to have employed.
A statement from the FDT said that the Lottery Committee had acknowledged the effort put into the application but they were concerned about the sustainability of the bakery over the next 12 to 24 months while a new bakery was built.
Fraserburgh Councillor Charles Buchan said that the news was “extremely disappointing” and that the council was “looking at ways” to help those who had lost their job.
Cllr Buchan said: “The Development Trust knew at the beginning it was going to be a very demanding project.
“The rejection by the national lottery came as a massive blow and was quite sudden.”
Troup Councillor Hamish Partridge, who also owns his own business, said: “My heart goes out to the people who have lost their jobs.
“A lot of them have been there for a long time.”
Cllr Partridge heralded the “fantastic initiative” undertaken by the FDT to try and open a new bakery and training centre and called the lottery’s decision “disappointing”.
He added: “It’s very disappointing for the area.
“It’s a trademark for New Pitsligo, it’s always been there.”