On Sunday, July 1, the famous stained glass window at Fraserburgh Old Parish Church was rededicated. This followed almost a year of refurbishment and urgent repairs to the supports of the window at the back of the church on Kirk Brae which were dangerous, as well as the cleaning and restoring of all the panels.
Sharing worship were the Reverend Peter Park and Reader Miss Dorothy Mair. The window was also given a generous legacy by the late Jean Wadsworth, former choir member and a regular worshipper at church and an engraved glass plaque was dedicated in her memory on the same day. Flowers in the choir area were also placed in memory of Jean. The congregation sang some lively songs, including a version of Psalm 148, the theme of the window, designed by Douglas Strachan, the foremost designer of stained glass windows in the 20th century.
The window was originally dedicated in May, 1906, after being commissioned by Sir George Strachan, Treasurer of the Bank of England, in memory of his father, John Anderson, who had been a precentor in the Auld Kirk for 35 years. The church had an after service with teas and refreshments, hosted by the choir, at the Church Centre where they thanked all those who had worked on the window, and those who had helped in any way towards its replacement and the completion of the costly project.