Fraserburgh United defiant against Dufftown

United managed to salvage a draw from the jaws of defeat after they came back from a two goal deficit with only 20 minutes remaining.

In their final Grill League Cup game, United travelled to Dufftown in what was essentially a meaningless game as rivals Maud had already been confirmed as qualifiers from this group.

United gave starts to Fraser Davidson, Mark MacIntosh and David Ross as Stuart Noble, Alan Reid and Euan Taylor were all out injured.

Dufftown started the match in a positive manner and could have taken the lead within the opening five minutes.  A fine ball into the Fraserburgh penalty area by Lee McGregor saw the ball eventually find Scott Dunn who saw his half chance cleared to safety by the visiting defence.

Dufftown did open the scoring after eight minutes.  Once again a fine delivery into the Fraserburgh penalty area by McGregor caused problems for the United defence. 

Dufftown defender Lamberton appeared to be pushed by a Fraserburgh player and referee Alan Proctor agreed, awarding a penalty kick to Dufftown. 

Dufftown captain Stuart Lamberton took the penalty, his effort beating Fraserburgh ‘keeper Dunbar for Lamberton’s fifth goal of the season and his third successful penalty kick.

Dufftown almost doubled their advantage after 17 minutes thanks to some tremendous play by Callum McIntosh. 

A Fraserburgh United corner kick was cleared by Paul Lamberton as far as McIntosh.  The young striker then embarked upon a tremendous driving run, leaving three United players trailing, before his low shot flashed across goal and just wide of ‘keeper Dunbar’s right hand post - a fantastic run by McIntosh who was unlucky to see his shot miss the target.

Fraserburgh’s first chance of the match was to come after 20 minutes. 

Fraser Davidson found Scot Falconer with a through ball.  Dufftown ‘keeper Sean McIntosh raced from his goal but his attempt at a clearance failed as he completely missed the ball. 

Defender Gary Lamberton came to McIntosh’s rescue, clearing the ball before it had the chance to roll into the Dufftown net.

Fraserburgh’s next chance came on 28 minutes.  A long clearance from ‘keeper Jonathan Dunbar was flicked on by Mark McIntosh to Scot Falconer. 

Falconer’s shot was blocked by a combination of Blair McDonald and Gary Simpson before the ball broke to Fraser Davidson who saw his 20-yard shot flash just wide of home ‘keeper McIntosh’s left hand post.

Dufftown doubled their advantage after 38 minutes. 

Once again United were unable to deal with a fine delivery into their penalty area by Lee McGregor and this time player-manager Paul Lamberton had the simple task of nodding the ball beyond ‘keeper Dunbar and into the United net to give the home side a two-goal lead.

Into the second half, United almost pulled a goal back within the opening minutes of the half. 

Mark McIntosh got the break off the ball off of Paul Lamberton before checking outside of Gary Lamberton.  His 18 yard effort was well over home ‘keeper Sean McIntosh’s crossbar however.

Manager Sim’s decision to introduce Robertson, Rollo and Watt almost paid immediate dividends as substitute Fraser Watt created a fine chance for his side after 72 minutes. 

A fine dribbling run saw him evade the challenges of several Dufftown players before his inviting cross saw Graeme McLeman just unable to meet the ball with a header.

Fraserburgh grabbed a goal and a route back into the match after 74 minutes.  A long ball into the Dufftown penalty area caused confusion within the Dufftown defence with Lee McGregor, Gary Lamberton and Sean McIntosh all involved. 

Iain Bisset took advantage, diverting the ball beyond Sean McIntosh to give the visiting side some hope.  

Dufftown almost re-established their two goal advantage within a minute. 

A corner kick from Stuart Lamberton found Paul Lamberton at the back post but his powerful header flew just wide of the United goal.

Fraserburgh grabbed their equalising goal with 12 minutes remaining. There seemed no danger when Dufftown defender Blair McDonald gained possession deep inside his own half. 

McDonald needlessly knocked the ball behind for a corner kick to Fraserburgh and Davidson whipped the set piece into the Dufftown penalty area David Innes powered a fine header beyond McIntosh and into the Dufftown net to bring the scores level.

There was still time for Fraserburgh to be reduced to ten men.  Iain Bisset bizarrely took a kick at Dufftown defender Blair McDonald leaving referee Proctor with no option but to produce the red card. 

United saw out the game and can reflect on a poor performance but showed good character to drag themselves back into the game.

FRASERBURGH UTD: Dunbar, Ritchie, Daz Ross, David Ross, Innes,

Davidson, McLeman, MacIntosh,

Lawrence, Bisset, Falconer. Subs: Rollo, Watt, Robertson.