Rosehearty pick up first season win

editorial image

in Deejays Nightclub League, Mormond Thistle had Rosehearty Thistle as visitors in a match which both teams were looking for their first league win of the season.

It was the away side that took a four-goal lead before the home side reduced the lead to two but the away side scored one more to complete the scoring.

Bellslea was facing Panasonic Tavern in a league match and the match ended with a 6-2 win for the League holders Bellslea. This makes it five wins in a row for the home side. Panasonic ended the match with ten players after Ballard was sent off.

Cheers, with new manager this season, are a much improved team and had Elizabethan Link Up as opponents and the home side went on to win by the odd goal in three. The home side finished the match with ten players after Jordan Jamieson was sent off.

In the Ship Inn League Cup quarter-final, St Combs had Panasonic as visitors and a close game was expected. Neil Taylor had the first chance of the game but shot straight at the keeper.

Minutes later the same player came close again after beating two players his shot went narrowly past the post then John Bruce did well on the turn but again Gatt in goals made a great save.

All the pressure came from the home side with Neil Taylor and Dan Callaghan coming close to scoring. Gatt made another two good saves in the first half to keep the game goalless.

In the second half Panasonic came more into the game and their first chance was a free kick which was floated to the back post but Ingils headed over the bar. Then home keeper Gordon make a good save from an Ingils shot.

Best chance of the match fell to Jay Watson who was in on goal but scuffed his shot. A good break by Mark Fraser on the right finished with a header by Neil Taylor which was deflected for a corner then another break by Joe Dolman who played in Smith but he shot wide of the goal. Into extra time and no goals were scored and it went to a penalty shootout which the visitors won by 3-2. They now meet Clinton Thistle in the semi-final.

In the Ship Inn Cup semi-final, New Pitsligo faced local rivals New Deer. The home side started favourites after beating their opponents recently.

James Fraser missed a golden chance early on to put the home side ahead. Gareth Neish picked the ball up on the half way line and travelled down field and crossed for Willie Robbie to open the scoring.

Pitsligo were dealt a blow after Ryan Christie had to be replaced due to injury. New Deer had another goal by Willie Robbie chalked off for offside.

Sanders in the away goal made two great saves near the end of the match to help New Deer keep a clean sheet and a place in the final which is New Deer’s first final since moving across from the Buchan League.

In the Gordon Leask Memorial Cup second round, Mormond Thistle had St Drostans as visitors and in a nine-goal thriller the home side go through to meet Cuminestown in the quarter-final after winning by 5-4.

In another second round match Invercairn United had Cuminestown as visitors.

The home side took the lead on ten minutes when the ball fell to Gilbert Paterson Jnr and he fired low into the corner of the net.

At the other end the home keeper Pirie had a fine save to preserve the home side lead. five minutes later Pirie did well to come off his line to punch clear under pressure from the Cuminestown front line.

In the second half the away side took control of the game. Scott Alexander ran down the left and cut in past the defender but his cross had no takers in the box.

The away side drew level from a Daryn Bruce cross found Clarke Morrison at the back post to score. At the other end a Tait cross was headed just wide by Lee Noble. Clarke Morrison took advantage of a mix-up in the Invercairn defence to put the home side ahead but shortly after Stuart Stephen drew the home side level.

The game headed for extra time Clarke Morrison returned the favour when he set up Daryn Bruce to fire home Cuminestown third goal. The home side had a big penalty shout turned down by the referee and it ended with another fine scalp for Cuminestown who look a serious contender this season for the Cup.

In the Gordon Leask Memorial Cup quarter-final, holders New Pitsligo had Faithlie United as opposition and after a goalless first half the away side that took a two-goal lead, but the holders came back with two second half goals.

Martin Buchan had the chance to win the game with five minutes to go but he missed with a penalty. The game ended 2-2 and in the penalty shoot-out Martin Buchan scored the winner in sudden death.

In a quarter-final St Combs had Clinton Thistle as opponents. The away side took the lead in under three minutes. It stayed that way until half time with Clinton guilty of missing a few chances.

In the second half Clinton went on to score two more goals. St Combs’ best chance of the match was a shot from Stephen Buchan which the away keeper spilled but there were no takers.

Fixtures for Saturday, May 21:

Deejays Nightclub League: St Combs v New Pitsligo, Elizabethan Link Up v Mormond Thistle, New Deer v Rosehearty Thistle, St Drostans v Faithlie United,

Gordon Leask Memorial Cup 2nd Rd: Cheers v Ardallie, Ship Inn League Cup Semi Final: Panasonic Tavern v Clinton Thistle 2pm kick-off.