Teenage abuser of Peterhead boy jailed for four years

The High Court in Edinburgh
The High Court in Edinburgh

A teenager who “never thought about the consequences” of repeatedly abusing a young boy has been jailed for four years.

Jordan Kemlo (18), admitted carrying out the Peterhead sexual assaults between 2011 and 2014.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard how Kemlo began preying on the child shortly after meeting him for the first time in August 2011.

He continued to assault the boy - who cannot be named for legal reasons - for another three years.

After hearing how Kemlo was “sorry” for his crimes, Lord Burns said that he couldn’t impose an alternative sentence to imposing jail time.

He added: “You plainly saw an opportunity to abuse him on a number of occasions.

“Given the circumstances of the offence, I cannot impose a custodial sentence of any less than four years.”

Kemlo pleaded guilty to sexual assault last month at the High Court in Glasgow. Sentence was deferred for the court to obtain reports about his character.

He admitted abusing the child between August 2011 and January 2014.

At earlier proceedings, the court was told how the boy was aged just six when the attacks started at his home in Peterhead.

Kemlo was arrested last year after a police probe into the 18 year-old. He had latterly been living in the USA.

Kemlo confessed to what happened and admitted the abuse occurred on several occasions including one time at his own home.

He told police: “I never thought of consequences...I was shocked, confused why it happened.”

Defence advocate Drew McKenzie told the court his client understood that his actions were wrong and added: “He did express that he is remorseful and that what he did to this boy was wrong.”

Ordering Kemlo to be supervised for five years following his release from custody, Lord Burns warned him not to offend again.

He added: “The social work report is quite alarming. Should you offend during the period of supervision you will be brought back to court and you will be sent back to custody.”