Broch go through - but it’s no stroll against Civil Service

editorial image

Fraserburgh stole victory from the position of equality to grab a 2nd round berth at the expense of a battling Civil Service Strollers side which looked odds on to have earned a replay after coming from three down at Bellslea, writes John Innes.

Indeed it could have been all over had Ryan Christie not netted with a last-gasp header - Paul Leask the saviour with two superb saves in the closing stages.

The Craigroystton side started the game in searing heat impressively. Scott Gormley rounded Paul Leask and his shot towards goal from an acute angle was going in but for skipper Russell McBride intercepting right at his left post.

They came even closer in nine minutes. Gary McBrayen played the ball to his left where he found Danny Rennie who cracked a strike off the top of the crossbar from 14 yards.

Fraserburgh needed to get a foothold into the game but the next six minutes were to be a shock as they hit a two goal lead with their first threats on goal of note.

Peter Alexander Bruce was well positioned in front of goal to guide an Allan Hale cross on the left into the corner in 11 minutes.

Six minutes later Bruce got has and his his team’s second slamming home a rebound after Graham Johnston’s effort came off the upright. The move was started by Bryan Hay playing a skilful 1-2 with Bruce, the on loan Peterhead striker reading the move as he took up predatory position.

In 37 minutes was this game done and dusted? Allan Hale sneaked in behind the Strollers rearguard to latch on to a headed backpass with defenders claiming a foul, the pacy left sided forward beating Paul Cadger at point blank range.

Continued from back

The Broch had to replace two key players - Bryan Hay with concussion and Robert Morrice with a shoulder injury in the first half. And they were pegged back to only one goal to the good before the interval.

Craig Anderson released a ball forward for his striker Scott Gormley who calmly lobbed over the head of Paul Leask from 12 yards . Then Gormley turned goal provider back heeling for Danny Rennie to slam home a right foot shot deep into injury time, the stoppages for the injuries delaying play substantially.

Danny Rennie scored arguably the goal of the game to bring the scores level in 61 minutes, racing through the Broch defence and placing the ball low to the left of Leask, a quality goal from an impressive forward

Leask had to make two crucial saves in the latter stages to keep his side on track. A Steven Main error allowed the ball to be worked to Gormley whose shot on the turn was pushed round the post by the No 1 . Then with the home fans screaming, Leask came out to block with his legs from Gormley, Craig Anderson supplying the sliderule pass.

Once again the drama at the Bellslea was left to the very end. Ryan Christie popped up, again in added on time, to head Steven Main’s free kick high into the corner of the net. A well flighted cross from the converted left back and Boomer, the winning goal.

The Fraserburgh v Fort William and Keith v Forres Mechanics games scheduled to be played on Saturday, October 1 have been postponed because Fort William and Forres Mechanics are playing in the Scottish Cup Scottish Cup.

Meanwhile, Fraserbugrh will host Third Division Elgin City in the second round - ties for which are due to be played on the weekend of October 22.

Other ties include: Clachnacuddin v Inverurie Loco Works; Vale of Leithen v Cove Rangers; Gala Fairydean v Golspie Sutherland; Fort William or Bo’ness Utd v Whitehill Welfare; Wigtown and Bladnoch v Stranraer; Peterhead v Nairn County; Wick Academy v Keith; Culter v Spartans; Alloa Athletic v Annan Athletic; Deveronvale v Berwick Rangers; Auchinleck Talbot v Threave Rovers; East Stirling v Buckie Thistle; Huntly v Queen’s Park; Montrose v Clyde; Edinburgh City v Forres Mechanics or Irvine Meadow