Davidson strike earns United valuable point

editorial image

After grabbing last week’s first league win of the season, United were keen to keep their momentum going into their game against Dyce.

Although initially pencilled in for Ian Mair Park the tie was switched to the Broch as the Dyce pitch was still frozen.

United produced a good defensive display to earn a hard fought point after being forced to play for an hour with 10 men after Broch’s Davey Ross was sent off in controversial circumstances.

United made one change from last week with the injured Lawrence being replaced by Danni Buchan.

After last week’s game the United pitch was very muddy, but it is a credit to the United ground staff that the park was in good nick and playable.

The opening exchanges were cagey, with Dyce edging the opening exchanges. Right back Webb swung in a couple of crosses that was dealt with easily by the united back four.

The first chance came to Dyce on seven minutes, when McNamee’s cross was headed out to the edge of the box by S. Noble and Mur volleyed first time high over Dunbar’s goal.

United replied in kind, a neat move saw Bisset and Hay combine on the left before the ball was squared to Davidson 18yards out but he screwed his shot wide. United continued to press and Ross brought out the best in Barney as his drive from 25yards was tipped over for a corner.

On 25 minutes Buchan’s corner from the right was flapped at by Barney, Broch’s S. Noble sclaffed his shot to the edge of the 6yard area where Ross made an even bigger mess of his shot and Barney dived on the loose ball.

The games main talking point came on 30 minutes. A dangerous, studs up challenge from Forsyth on United’s Ross saw the Dyce man have his name taken by the referee. Ross left the field for treatment and upon his return saw him challenge Forsyth in exactly the same manor, the referee consulted his linesman and to United’s dis-belief Ross received his marching orders.

Dyce immediately careered forward with Webb in particular gaining space to perforate the United box with crosses, however United stood firm and took the lead on 42mins.

A Dyce attack broke down and Roy Noble played a lovely through ball to Bisset wide left, his effort was well saved by Barney but the ball broke to home winger Fraser Davidson and his header crossed the line despite Cheyne’s best goal line efforts.

However United immediately capitulated their lead. Webb again strode down the right and this time his cross found Booth 7yards out and his delicate header arced into the far corner for the equaliser.

The second half continued as the first ended, Dyce dominated possession but without creating. Strachan’s shot from distance was well held by Dunbar while Reid headed clear as Booth threatened.

On 59 minutes, Dyce’s Scully and United’s Hay had their names taken as the game heated up. Lone front man Bisset continued to prove a handful for the Dyce backline and Barney saved well after Bisset had turned Mur.

Darren Ross was introduced for Buchan and his first action saw him booked for a hack at Murray.

United were still threatening and forced a corner on 77 minutes. McLeman’s corner found Innes at the back post but his header flew narrowly over with Barney beaten.

Dyce’s frustration with their inability to break down the United team was becoming more evident and Strachan was booked for a late challenge on S. Noble, before being subbed. United also introduced Ewan Taylor and Andrew Ritchie for Bisset and McLeman who had ran themselves into the ground. Dyce almost stole it right at the death, substitute Milne twisted past Noble and Innes only for Reid to make a crucial blocking tackle to ensure parity remained.

Goalscorer Fraser Davidson spoke to The Herald afterward: “It wasn’t pretty and we had to dig deep but it’s a good point after playing with 10men for so long. Our midfield and forwards worked their socks off today and I think we can all be proud of the performance. Yes, that’s my first goal for United! I’m absolutely ecstatic!

“I’ve been getting a run in the team and I’m just starting to get to grips with the pace of the division, but hopefully there will be more to come from me this season,” he said.

Fraserburgh Utd: (4-4-2) Dunbar, Hay, Reid, S. Noble, Innes, Buchan, McLeman, D. Ross, Davidson, R. Noble, Bisset. Subs: Tait, Taylor, D. Ross, Forbes, A. Ritchie, C. Ritchie, Robertson