A win at last for Mormond Thistle

IN the Deejays Nightclub League, Mormond Thistle entertained St. Drostans and this was an excellent game with both sides going all out for a win.

The first chance of the match fell to Innes who had a free header from a corner but his header went high over the bar. A break by Mormond’s Lawson on left saw him send in a dangerous cross which Summers in the away goal saved.

A long ball forward by Summers found Morrice in on goal but he dragged his shot wide of the empty goals. The same player had another chance but home keeper Fyfe saved.

Mormond were awarded an indirect free kick just outside the six-yard box and Sutherland’s shot was saved. Summers was again in action when he cleared a Lawson cross. James Fraser played in Sutherland who’s shot went narrowly over the bar.

Morrice came close to opening the scoring for the away side but his shot went inches past the post. Ross Brown beat two players but shot straight at Summers. The Mormond keeper had to be replaced due to injury and sub-keeper Brown made a good stop after coming on.

Ross Brown gave Mormond the lead when he beat his marker and fired a rocket of a shot past Summers. Bruce Munro had his fierce drive tipped over the bar by Brown. St. Drostans came close to drawing level by Lawrence got back to clear off the line and help Mormond to finally get a win in the League.

Cheers faced Rosehearty Thistle in a league game and it was the home side that collected the three points scoring three goals without reply.

It was their first clean sheet of the season so well done to them. The goals came from Stuart Whyte, John Bruce and Daniel Simpson. Rosehearty finished the match with ten players as keeper Ross Stuart was sent off.

New Deer faced St. Combs and it was the away side that took the lead on 15 minutes with a goal from John Smith. New Deer drew level when Gary Thomson headed in from a corner. The same player gave the home side the lead on 75 minutes but again New Deer lost a goal in the last minute from a towering header from Eric John West to earn St. Combs a point.

In the Gordon leask Memorial Cup semi-final, Clinton Thistle faced Hatton. The first chance fell to the away side when Spencer was played in on goal but Stewart saved with his feet. Bain and Geddes both had shots on target but were fired straight at the home keeper Stewart. At the other end a Buchan cross was whipped in and Slater just failed to connect at the back post. Simon Whyte then fired a low curling shot which went narrowly past the post.

The home side took the lead when Noble put in a dangerous cross and Slater put in at the back post but unfortunately collided with the post and had to be substituted with a gash in his knee which required stitches.

Hatton drew level when Geddes played a ball over the Clinton defence and Bain ran on to slot home. In the second half Hatton were unlucky not to take the lead when Henderson cut in from the right and fired in a low drive but the ball came back off the post.

A great break by Clinton saw them go in front again when Whyte started the ball rolling in his own half running 30 yards and playing in Noble on the right and he picked out Buchan who fired home.

Bain was unlucky not to score but Matthew Cowie was on hand to clear off the line. Substitute Humphries had made some good runs forward and he made it 3-1 when he scored from a Whyte cross. Simon Whyte made it 4-1 when he combined with Scott Milne to score.

Hatton were reduced to ten men after manager James Bain was sent off. Noble should have extended the home side lead but he managed to miss from three yards. Hatton did pull a goal back in the 90th minute with a fine goal by Cowie. Milne had the last chance but he put it past the post from close range.

New Pitsligo faced Elizabethan Link Up in a quarter-final of the Victoria Coaches Cup and the home side were strong favourites for this match. It didn’t help the away side when Stephen Crawford was sent off.

The home side went on to score 15 goals without reply. They came from hit man Neil Christie scoring seven, Ryan Christie with a hatrick, braces from Morven Wood and Michael Stephen and one from Michael Fraser.

Bellslea had home advantage over Invercairn United in a quarter-final tie of the Victoria Coaches Cup and the home side got off to a flyer when ex-Broch player Wemyss scored in the first minute and he added a second before half time. Invercairn United took control of the second half scoring five goals by five different players.

They were Jamie Martin, John James Sim, Darren Barbour, Liam Farquhar and Jamie Forman, Bellslea striker Fraser Watt did get another for the home side to end the scoring.

In the third round of the Highland Cup, Panasonic travelled to Rothes to face table-toppers Rothes Amateurs and with were 1-0 ahead after five minutes when an Alan Donaldson cross was headed in by Ballard.

Rothes drew level when Johnstone hit a terrific shot from outside the box which flew into the bottom corner of the net. A Panasonic free kick was floated in by J. Watson and Ingils volleyed at the back post which Dick in the home goal saved but rebounded out and Booth was on hand to score. The same player made it 3-1 before half time with a clinical finish.

Ballard was on the score sheet again with the goal of the game when he turned and fired an unstopable shot into the top corner of the net to make it 4-1. Jay Watson was next on the score sheet when a Ballard corner was whipped in and Watson headed home. The home side pulled one back when McKinnon beat the offside trap and fired low into the corner of the net.

Ballard took another corner with the same result, Jay Watson scoring at the back post to make it 6-2. Both keepers Dick and Gatt had great saves before Ballard got his hatrick and sub Eddie Mckenna made it 8-2 after a blunder by the home keeper.

Fixtures for Saturday, July 23:

League - St Drostans v Invercairn United; Bellslea v Mormond

Thistle; New Deer v New Pitsligo.

Victoria Coaches Cup, first round - Faithlie United v Cheers; Clinton Thistle v St. Combs (all 2pm kick-off).