Ardallie lift the cup

ARDALLIE emerged triumphant in the Ardallie Cup against a spirited Grange United side last week.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 27th August 2012, 10:35 am

The match took place at New Deer due to Ardallie Park being unplayable and started with heavy rain. Grange had the first chance when AJ Buchan was through on goal but his shot was parried out by Summers.

A break upfield and cross by Cordiner was met by Walker whose shot was deflected over the bar. Stuart Park earned Ardallie a penalty after he was brought down in the box and he stepped up to fire home the opening goal.

Aitken had a glorious chance to double the Ardallie lead but he shot wide of the goals from inside the box. But they did go two-up when Scott Bartlet sent in a dangerous cross and Park slid in to score.

A long ball by Summers was latched on to by Aitken but Campbell came off his line to save.

Into the second half and Grange nearly pulled a goal back after Brent Holtby Wall turned and shot narrowly past the post.

A David Clark drive was spilled by Campbell and Park was first to react but his shot went over the bar from close. Elrick was next to shoot from the edge of the box but wide of the goals. Summers made a good stop from a Gary Milne.

The Grange pulled a vital goal back on 71 minutes after Wall played in AJ Buchan who rounded Summers and put into an empty net. At the other end Campbell had to get down low to his right to make a fine stop from an Elrick shot. Park nearly got his hatrick near the end of the match but his shot went inches past the post.

Ardallie were the better team in the first half and took their two goals well. The Grange hit back in the second half but couldn’t find an equalising goal.

The match officials handled the match excellently in difficult conditions with no cards being shown and both teams played entertaining football in a very sporting way and appreciation was shown by both clubs at the presentation.

Meanwhile, Mormond Thistle faced Cheers in the league and the home side came close to opening the scoring when a Ross Brown free kick rattled the crossbar.

Cheers took the lead shortly after this as John Bruce was played through and he slotted home under the keeper. They added a second when Whyte crossed for Craig Milne to score. The home side hit back with Ross Brown turned in the box and fired into the corner of the net.

A good move involving Lawson and Brown ended with Lawson making a perfect cross for Raymond Taylor to level the score. Brown made a good save from Bruis Cowe. Brown came close but his shot hit the outside of the post.

The home side took the lead on 66 minutes when Farman scrambled the ball over the line. Raymond Taylor made sure of the points when his shot was deflected in the corner of the net from the edge of the box.

Elizabethan Link Up entertained Bellslea and it was goalless at half time. Into the second half and Bellslea took the lead and went on to score another two to win 3-0.

League leaders Clinton Thistle close in on league title after another fine win over St Drostans. The home side went on by scoring seve goals without reply.

The goals came from Gilbert Patterson (2) and one each from Willie Noble, MJ Patterson, Martin Atkinhead, Darren Barbour and Jamie Martin.

New Pitsligo had a comfortable afternoon where they hit 10 goals past Rosehearty coming from Neil Christie, Daniel Kewley and Olly Black all netting a hat-trick each and one from Ian Mitchell and for the away side was Christopher King with a penalty and Dave Cran. The away side finished the match with 10 men after Paul Downie was red carded in the first half.

Cheers entertained New Deer in a league game and this one was always going to be a close game and it ended with the away side getting all three points with a 2-1 win. Scoring twice for New Deer was Willie Robbie and for the home side Stewart Whyte.

Clinton Thistle had Elizabethan Link Up as visitors and the home side net another three points and another clean sheet scoring six goals without reply. The scorers were Simon Whyte who net himself a hat-trick, a brace from Matthew Cowe and an own goal.

Bellslea had home advantage over St Combs and this match finished with the away side winning 6-1. The winning goals came from Ryan Dunbar and John Smith both netting two each and one a piece from Niall Buchan and Stephen Buchan.

Faithlie United faced St Drostans in their league match knowing they needed all three points to keep up their title challenge and the home side went on to win 7-1. The home scorers were Gary Clark with a hatrick, Fraser Anderson and Christopher Grieve both with a brace each and for the away side was Mike Greening.

Results Saturday, August 25

Deejays Nightclub league

Clinton Thistle 6 Elizabethan Link Up 0, New Pitsligo 10 Rosehearty Thistle 2, Bellslea 1 St Combs 6, Cheers 1 New Deer 2 ,Faithlie United 7 St Drostans 1, Bellslea 3 Elizabethan Link Up 0, Clinton Thistle 7 St Drostans 0, Mormond Thistle 4 Cheers 2.

Fixtures Tuesday, August 28

Deejays Nightclub league-Bellslea v Cheers, Elizabethan Link Up v St Drostans, Clinton Thistle v Faithlie United, Rosehearty Thistle v New Deer, New Pitsligo v St Combs ko 6.45pm Sat 1 Sept-League-Rosehearty Thistle v Cheers, Elizabethan Link Up v Faithlie United, New Deer v Clinton Thistle, St Drostans v St Combs, Victoria Coaches Cup 1st Rd-Bellslea v New Pitsligo ko 2pm

Buchan Welfare Football

Phd Pensioners played hosts to Longside and the home side took the lead when a Geddes cross to the back post where Burnett volleyed home.

The away side drew level on the half hour mark with a 20-yard strike from Alexander Geddes which found the bottom corner of the net. The home side won a free kick on the edge of the Longside box and up stepped Burnett who fired against the defensive wall but when it came back to him he volleyed into the bottom corner of the net.

Filson for the away side smashed a 25 yard shot which rattled the crossbar. On the break a through ball found the evergreen Jimmy Cruise and he cooly slotted the ball home to give the home side a 3-1 lead.

Moir made a good save from a Filson drive. Buchan saw his left foot shot into the net from 18 yards to pull a goal back. The away side drew level when Ironside who looked well offside fired home to end the scoring.

Methlick were home to Harbour Lights who again were struggling to field a team and it ended in an easy win for the home side by scoring 12 goals without reply.

Mark Lidgerwood netted 5, Grant Finnie scored 4 and a hatrick from Kevin Taylor.

Mambos finish off their league campaign in impressive style against Cuminestown by scoring 10 goals without reply.

The winning goals came from David Gourley, Brandon McBain, and Alan Brown all netting hatricks and one from Ian Fyfe.

Grange United faced Buchanhaven Rangers and the home side ran out winners 9-2. Scoring for the home side were Nico Gallagher and Mark Walker both hitting hatricks, a brace from Craig Good and one from Jack Taylor and replying for the away side was Adam Kendal and Alexander Davidson.