Barbour on score sheet again as Broch draw

BARBOUR: Scott Barbour celebrates his goal.
BARBOUR: Scott Barbour celebrates his goal.

Scott Barbour was again on the score sheet last weekend for Fraserburgh, as the Broch continued to impress in the opening stages of the new Highland League season, pushing champions Forres Mechanics to a
1-1 draw.

Having lost their first game of the season, Forres stole a point with a late penalty following great periods of the game where the Broch dominated control of the ball.

The relatively youthful side the Broch fielded away to Forres, it took less than five minutes for chances on goal to open up.

Scott Barbour, contnuing last season’s form, failed to make anything from a Mark Cowie ball at around the five minute mark, before later forcing Forres ‘keeper Stewart Knight into an impressive save from 30 yards

From that, John Willox set up Barbour once more for another attempt on target, this time his shot smashing off the inside of the post from close range.

Forres, however, did show glimmers of what had brought them a title, when Scott Moore picked up on a Kyle Scott pass to tuck the ball past Paul Leask in the Broch goal, but was judged to have been offside when the ball was played, meaning it stayed level half-way through the first-half.

Around 30 minutes in, Mark Cowie had a long range drive miss the target before Scott Barbour again struck gold and sent Fraserburgh in front.

Passing defenders for fun, the youngster slid his way behind the defence with the ball at his feet before sending the ball over Knight with a left-footed strike for the first goal of the game.

The youngster has now scored four goals so far in the season.

It looked to have been the end for Forres, as they began to look a shadow of the side of last season, Nathan Sharp poorly passing a ball back to Knight who, in turn, miss hit the ball for the

From a corner, the Broch continued to press for goals, with West sending the ball into the side netting.

The Broch would have been good for more goals as the second-half progressed, both Lawrie and Barbour squandering chances in front of the Forres goal with attempts that flew over the bar.

In the dying embers of the half, as the Broch looked to be bringing three points home to Bellslea, Neil Main was cruelly judged to have awarded the Mechanics a penalty.

From a throw in, Main had, apparently, fouled his man, allowing Scott Lawrie to convert the chance from the spot.

Further misery came when the Broch’s Steven Davidson picked up a second yellow for a challenge on Knight, giving the referee no choice but to send the player off before the final whistle.

The Broch, now three games into the season, now sit eighth, three points away from Deveronvale who occupy top spot on goal difference.

Next up, meanwhile, the Broch will host Coldstream in the Scottish Cup, before an Aberdeenshire Cup game against Turriff.

The Fraserburgh Supporters Club will be running a bus to Turriff on Wednesday, August 29, which will leave from the harbour office at 6:45pm.