Boomer injury mars Brora game

Ryan Christie battles for possession.
Ryan Christie battles for possession.

An injury to Ryan Christie topped defeat to the, as yet, undefeated Brora last weekend, the defender going to he ground early in the first-half, clutching his left leg.

It is understood that the regular fixture at the back, paired with Russell McBride, had done in his cruciate, an injury which could keep him sidelined for the foreseeable future.

Steven Main was also injured in the game and substituted in the first-half.

Despite this, the Broch man still made an appearance during Fraserburgh’s friendly with an Aberdeen XI, albeit from the sidelines.

Fraserburgh had started the game well on Saturday, but were soon on the back-foot when the Sutherland club went ahead on the 21st minute, Steven Mackay picking up his first of the afternoon.

Mackay was again on form after the break, netting his second and final goal of the rainy day at around the hour mark.

This was followed by an Andrew Greig goal which put the game beyond reach of the Burgh with just over 20 minutes left to go.

No one had told Neil Main that, however, and as the Broch continued to push forward, he found his break on the 77th minute, converting past the goalkeeper for the Broch’s consolation goal.

However, at the death, Greig again rubbed salt in the wounds of the home support by netting his second.

Evidently missing that attacking threat up-front, the Broch will be hoping that, when Scott Barbour returns to the squad, and PA Bruce returns to full fitness, their fortunes begin to improve.

Assistant manager Mike Cormack spoke on the defeat: “We’ve just got to dig deep, as I’ve said, we’ve got to get our heads down and start working.

“If it means bringing in youngsters, we’ll have to do it.”

Fraserburgh’s next game in the Highland League is this Saturday against Lossiemouth, away.

A supporters bus for the 3pm kick-off will leave from the harbour office at 12:30pm on Saturday, August 31. Prices for the bus are available at