Broch narrowly miss out on Cup joy

ON THE ATTACK: The Broch were far from outclassed by their Third Division opponents, but lacked the cutting edge to find an equaliser.
ON THE ATTACK: The Broch were far from outclassed by their Third Division opponents, but lacked the cutting edge to find an equaliser.

Fraserburgh Football Club missed out on progression in the Scottish Cup this season, their stubborn Third Division opponents proving too much to overcome as tempers began to flare.

The Broch looked the most likely to score as the first-half began to develop, within five minutes the in-form Scott Barbour finding John Willox with a scoring opportunity, only for Willox to find East Stirlingshire’s goalkeeper, Grant Hay, in good form.

Afterwards, the first-half looked to be gone for the Broch, ‘Shire taking grasp of the

David Greenhill sliced his way through the Bellslea outfit’s defence before firing the ball past Paul Leask in goal and into the back of the net for their first of the

East Stirlingshire found a second before the half was out when Kevin Turner managed to scoop a ball over the head of Leask to put the game, seemingly, beyond doubt.

At the restart of the game, and following second-half changes, Kris Hunter seemed to have spoken invigorating words of wisdom to his side, and their effects were almost immediate.

Graham Johnston, himself in rich vein form, entered the fray to cap his appearance with a real poacher’s effort.

A passed ball to Scott Barbour saw the Brocher turn on the spot to clatter the ball into the towards Hay in goal, who, in turn, failed to keep hold of the ball.

Bobbling into the path of Johnston, the substitute wasted no time in smashing the ball into the back of the net to bring the Broch back into the game with renewed spirits.

However, as much as the Broch knocked on the door, East Stirlingshire kept their cool and defended their one goal lead, the Third Division side, who were able to cut out any goal-scoring chances, were perhaps fortunate to do so late in the second-half.

Johnny Chalmers and Scott Barbour combined in the second-half to cause a nuisance for the visitors, Barbour guiding the ball into ‘Shire’s box to cause panic for the visitors.

The ball itself eventually landed at the feet of Chalmers who, unfortunately, sent it wide of the goal.

Going into the closing moments of the Cup tie, the Broch collapsed to two red cards in quick succession, Graham Johnston picking up a second yellow for, seemingly, what was deemed to have been a dive in the ‘Shire box just five minutes before the whistle.

Ryan Christie was then given his marching orders by Don Robertson for violent conduct.

Nine-men on the pitch, the game ended with controversy.

Had Johnston had indeed been brought down in the box, it looked likely that the Broch could have, at the least, forced a

Instead, the Broch will now focus on the arrival of Clachnacuddin in the Highland League.

Having played two games less than their visitors, the Broch will hope that a positive result can see them begin to climb up the table and head into the winter in a comfortable position.