Broch’s second half spell seals victory

BARBOUR: Scott Barbour celebrates his goal.
BARBOUR: Scott Barbour celebrates his goal.

Fraserburgh booked their place in the Evening Express Aberdeenshire Cup Final and a meeting with in form Formartine Utd at Victoria Park, Buckie on Saturday, September 15, and their victory can be put down to superior finishing ability in front of goal

Both sides were fielding extremely strong line-ups but it was the loss of Dave McKenzie to a head injury sustained at the weekend which on paper gave the visitors the mantle of favourites

However it was clear Turriff were not willing to settle slowly into the game.

They should have been ahead in 21 minutes. Careless play by the normally unflappable Scott Fowlie put unnecessary pressure on Ryan Christie. The squared pass was latched on by Nick Gray but the former Banks O’Dee failed rto realise how much time and space he was in, First time he blasted over the top

Another comedy of errors in a so far uncharacteristic Broch display ensued with a spinning ball being laid back to Leask who tried to put his foot on the ball and dribble his way out only to trip on the ball and soon after Gary Harris was left unmarked but could get no power on his header

In 38 minutes Leask made a great fingertip save to avert a Gary Harris goal, Gauld again the supplier and soon afte the corner Ross Anderson’s 25 yard piledriver came off the post and Leask flopped at the feet of Bowden prowling to get on to the rebound

The Buchan side were looking more composed at the start of the second half, Barbour at last evading Anderson and picking out Mark Cowie whose effort from close in was clutched with a dive by Reid while Turriff replied, Robbie Allan floating a free kick just over the crossbar

The Broch took the lead from the penalty spot in 57 minutes with Ryan Christie firing his spot kick into the bottom right hand corner of the net after Scott Barbour was tripped just inside the area by Lewis Davidson

Nineteen minutes later, 2-0, Willie West netting his fourth goal in the Shire Cup this season slotting Bryan Hay’s cut back home from eight yards but the home defence made heavy weather in clearing their lines when a boot up the park was called for

Scott Barbour looked to make it three with a quick swivel and shot going too high, however it was game on in 86 minutes as Turriff pulled one back.

Gary Harris ran on to a Stephen Gauld headflick and lifted he ball over Leask and into the back of the net to reduce the deficit to one goal.

It was to be no dream finish though as one minute into injury time the tie was killed off Graham Johnston raced in from the left having been released by Scott Barbour with Turriff pushing everyone up and he applied a cool finish to start the party in the Broch