Burgh bounce back to beat lacklustre Locos

Marc Dickson and Martin Bavidge challenge for the same ball.
Marc Dickson and Martin Bavidge challenge for the same ball.

Fraserburgh Football Club made a remarkable comeback last Wednesday in the Aberdeenshire Cup, keeping alive hopes of the Burgh securing silverware this season.

The Burgh had gone into the second-half 2-0 down at the Bellslea last week, Inverurie Loco Works being the opposition on the cold and wet Wednesday night for the second round of the competition.

The Locos had reached the semi-finals last year before eventually losing out and proved to be a stiff challenge for the Fraserburgh outfit in the opening 45 minutes.

PA Bruce had threatened to bring the Burgh into the game early on, the striker finding himself with an opportunity to embarrass the Locos’ back line with a one-on-one with goalkeeper Andy Reid.

However, the striker put too much into the shot and saw it fly over the bar.

The game continued to be played end-to-end until young goalkeeper Scott Cowe was adjudged to have barged into Inverurie’s Andy Hunter in the box, awarding seasoned striker Martin Bavidge to convert from 12 yards.

A spilled corner before the half-time whistle saw Cowe the centre of attention once more with his last contribution to the game, the ‘keeper, who has been in fine form since being given a chance between the sticks for Kris Hunter’s side, spilling the ball into his own net before being substituted for Joe Barbour during the interval.

The Burgh looked a different in the second-half, Hunter’s words at the break evidently making a difference.

It took 20 minutes, however, for them to make their goal, Courtney Cooper finally beating Reid after he had saved two prior shots.

10 minutes later, Reid was left flailing at a Scott Barbour effort which he could only clear as far as Graham Johnston who finished with a simple poke home.

William West was sent off between the equaliser and extra time, the second yellow making no real difference in the game with Fraserburgh looking the fitter side.

Bavidge continued to threaten, but Joe Barbour looked comfortable in goal, clearing the best of the former’s efforts.

It would be down to Johnston, once more, and Scott Barbour to push Fraserburgh over the line, Barbour beating an advancing Reid in the box to score his first of the competition before Johnston converted from close range after a cross from the left.

The game ended 4-2 to the Burgh.