Classy Broch hit six past Lossiemouth

PLEASED: Manager Kris Hunter will have been pleased with the Broch's return form following a loss at at Inverurie.
PLEASED: Manager Kris Hunter will have been pleased with the Broch's return form following a loss at at Inverurie.

Lossiemouth were comprehensively beaten today by a rampant Fraserburgh. Scott Barbour, back in the front line, led the attack to score two out of the Broch’s six goals.

Fraserburgh got the game off to a very quick start when they crafted a good opportunity within the first twenty seconds. A ball was played across to Steven Main who was marauding forward on the left. Main then played the ball into Scott Barbour who turned then scooped his shot just over the bar.

From out of the blue – following the opportunity in the first minute the game had settled down quite considerably – Lossiemouth took the lead sixteen minutes in. A fantastic in-swinging corner from JJ Urquhart had the Broch defence in all sorts of bother, Nikki Smith capitalising on this to prod home one of the easiest goals he’ll ever score.

Scott Barbour then scored thirty minutes in with what was to be the first of a three-goal flurry for Fraserburgh. A ball from Ryan Christie cut through the Lossie defence to set Barbour free down the left. Taking the ball in his stride, Barbour drove into the home side’s box before firing in an emphatic left-footed shot to beat Darren McConnachie at his near post.

Fraserburgh took the lead eight minutes later in very contentious circumstances.

The referee blew for a goal, failing to notice that his linesman had raised his flag for an infringement. By the time that the referee realised, though, the flag had been lowered with the linesman seemingly having changed his mind about any possible infringement.

Still stunned by this second goal, Lossie conceded their third five minutes later. Following a corner, the ball fell to the feet of Graham Johnston who pivoted around then shot at goal. With McConnachie in No Man’s Land, the ball trickled into the net to give the Broch a cushion come half time.

The proceedings in the second half were very dull before Fraserburgh were awarded a penalty sixty-four minutes in. Just within the box, Scott Barbour was brought down by a clumsy Kevin Stuart challenge. Dean Cowie stepped up to take it, hammering home a lovely shot into the bottom left hand corner of the goal. McConnachie had dived the right way, but was beaten by the sheer power of the shot.

Fraserburgh then scored their fifth four minutes later. McConnachie flapped at a Fraserburgh corner, with the ball falling to the feet of Scott Barbour. Barbour shot at goal but this was saved a point-blank range by McConnachie. Barbour then tried to convert the rebound but was beaten to it by his teammate Ryan Christie, who prodded home from a mere two yards out.

Fraserburgh scored their sixth eighty-six minutes in to rub salt into Lossie’s wounds. A simple cross-field ball caught out the Lossie defence with Steven Sim unable to cut it out. This allowed Scott Barbour to pick the ball up on the left hand side and sprint into the home side’s box. Just as Barbour looked set to shoot with his left foot, he suddenly cut inside, taking the incoming Kevin Stuart out of the equation. From there, Barbour then calmly slotted the ball in at the near post with his right foot.

This result reflects badly on Lossie, they had taken the lead and looked good value up until the half-hour mark. Fraserburgh, though, then took control and dominated for much of the rest of the match.

The Broch will, of course, be delighted with this six-one win away from home – as evidenced by the very loud, upbeat music playing in their changing room following full time!

Fraserburgh are next on Highland League duty on Saturday, March 24, with the Broch playing host to 17th place Srathspey Thistle.

With as little as a single point seperating the sides at the top, it is all to play for as every teams aims to finish as high in the table as possible.