Clinton celebrate first silverware of the season

Clinton started on the front foot and took the lead on five minutes when Patterson played in Colin Stewart and he found the corner of the net.

They then doubled their lead when Scott Milne floated a cross to the back post and Simon Whyte was on hand to head home.

From a corner, Colin Stewart sent in a dangerous cross and John Best out-jumped the Pitsligo defence to head Clinton’s third goal.

The first real chance for Pitsligo came from a Reekie cross. Shaun Jamieson had a free header from six yards but he didn’t get enough on the ball and it fell to Christie who fired over the bar from a tight angle.

Pitsligo had to change their keeper after Alexander was replaced by Scott Reid in goals. Reekie tested Summers in the Clinton goal with a shot from outside the box but Summers saved easily. Just before half time Colin Stewart was played in on goal but his shot straight at Reid.

Pitsligo started spritely in the second period and forced an early corner which was curled in but Summers gathered.

He then launched a long ball upfield and Buchan cut back to play in Whyte but his shot was deflected wide of the goals.

Pitsligo did pull a goal back when a ball was curled in by Martin and it was headed on and the ball fell to Dale Nicol who fired home.

This gave Pitsligo a lift and they pushed forward with Scott Martin hit a terrific shot from distance and it needed a good save by Summers.

Pitsligo then reduced the deficit to one after Reekie played Christie in who found Michael Stephen who headed in to the net to make it 3-2.

Clinton clinched the cup with a fourth goal when Scott Milne played a one-two with Simon Whyte who played it across to Matty Cowe whose shot found the bottom corner of the net.

This was a great first by Clinton which saw them going in 3-0 up at half time. New Pitsligo hit back in the second half but couldn’t quite match Clinton and in the end it was a deserved win for Clinton.

Man of the match was Stuart Fowlie who again put in another accomplished performance.

Thanks were expressed to St Drostans for the use of their facilities, the Sutton family for their sponsorship of the Terry Sutton Memorial Cup and also thanks to David Sutton who went along to present the trophies.

NEW PITSIGO: Alexander, Harley, Buchan, Martin, Rennie, Mitchell, Reekie, Nicol, Christie, Jamieson, M Stephen. Subs: Whyte, Simpson, G. Stephen, Reid, D. Duncan

CLINTON THISTLE: Summers, Best, McCauley, Fowlie, G. Patterson Snr, Milne, Barbour, Whyte, Chris Stewart, Buchan, Colin Stewart. Subs: Cowe, Martin, Batty, R. Stewart, Slater

In the Brucklay Cup quarter-final, Bellslea entertained Faithlie United and an under-strength Bellslea were going to find it hard against an accomplished Faithlie team.

The away side went in front when a cross came over to the back post where Martin Buchan headed back across goal to Rory Campbell to head home.

Lee Noble came close to getting the home side level when he fired a quick free kick round the defensive wall but the away keeper got across goal to save.

Manager Martin Buchan doubled the away side lead when he was played in on the left, he fired a left foot shot in to the net past Pirie.

The home side pulled a goal back after some good footwork by Stuart Guild on the right and his cross was met by Bob Stephen to head home.

In the second half both sides had shots from distance but there were no further goals until Buchan picked the ball up just outside the Bellslea box and drilled a shot low into the corner of the net.

Just before the end Ryan Whyte converted a penalty to end the scoring. Both sides finished the match with ten players after Coyle of Faithlie and Whyte of Bellslea were sent off.

In the Deejays Nightclub League, New Deer faced Elizabethan Link Up and the home side took an early lead with a goal from Scott Milne.

Link Up keeper Dimitrov made a good stop from a shot from Strachan but Lewis Neil followed up to blast high into the net.

Andy Strachan netted number three for the home side from a Crighton cross.

Holland came close to pulling a goal back but he dragged his shot just wide of the post. Dimitrov then made three good saves in succession.

Barry Crighton added a fourth soon after then Link Up were awarded a penalty and Neil Holland stepped up to score putting the keeper the wrong way.

Scott Milne came close to adding another but his lob went over the away side keeper and it came back off the post.

Kyle Tait added a fifth just before half time. Craig Whylie had an effort from distance which went narrowly over the bar. A good move with Holland on the right was played across goal and Duthie had an easy finish to make it 5-2.

Link Up were more of a test in the second half but New Deer scored a sixth from a long throw by Crighton and Ian Duncan finished it off.

The final goal of the game came from Lewis Neil who fired in an unstoppable shot from 25 yards right into the top corner of the net.

The match ended on a sour note for New Deer’s Lewis Neil as he was taken to hospital with a suspected broken ankle.

The other league game was between Faithlie United and Mormond Thistle and an under strength Faithlie team struggled against a solid Mormond team in the first half but a brilliant hatrick from John McKinnon changed the game and the home side went on to dominate and could have added more goals.

Fixtures for Tuesday, July 3:

Brucklay Cup quarter-fina l- New Pitsligo v St Combs; Elizabethan Link up V Clinton Thistle.

Deejays Nightclub League -Faithlie United v New Deer (7pm kick-off).

Saturday, July 7:

Deejays Nightclub League -Mormond Thistle v Rosehearty Thistle; St Combs v Clinton Thistle; St Drostans v New Deer (all 2pm kick-off).