Close game sees Faithlie take the points

IN THE Deejays Nightclub League, Elizabethan Link Up faced Faithlie United and this was another close game with the away side edging the match by the odd goal in five.

Clinton Thistle entertained New Deer and these matches have been very close lately and this one was the same with the home side winning by the odd goal in five.

Cheers were facing Panasonic Tavern and this match was abandoned after 80 minutes with the away side leading by 3-2 because one of Cheers players suffered a suspected broken ankle. The league would like to wish the player a speedy recovery.

Bellslea were due to play Rosehearty Thistle but the away side could not field a team so Bellslea were awarded a 3-0 win.

Elizabethan Link Up played hosts to Cheers and the home side took the lead on six minutes when Neil Holland received the ball out wide right and he cut in and shot into the far corner of the net.

McDonald had a chance to double their lead but Hay made a good save. On 23 minutes the home side did get their second of the night when McCrae sent across a dangerous cross and Mair came in at the back post to head back across goal into the net.

The reliable home keeper Sinclair let a long-range shot from Cowe slip through him to let the visitors back into the match. McKay was put clear on goal but Hay made another stop with his feet.

At the other end Sinclair made a good save from Buchan then a long ball forward by McDonald sent Buchan clear but Sinclair came out to stave off the danger. Link Up stretched their lead with the same two players again when McCrae crossed and Mair finished off the move.

Five minutes before half time Steven Crawford was red-carded when he handled the ball on the line. From the resulting penalty, Atkinson’s shot was saved by Sinclair.

A minute later Cheers had another shout for a penalty turned down. Into the second half McKay had a hatful of chances to extend the home side’s lead but he wasted every one with poor finishing and good goal-keeping by Hay. There were no more goals in the match and it was a welcome first win in the league.

Bellslea faced Invercairn United in a top of the table clash. In the first minute a Jamie Martin free kick was pushed over the bar by McRobb. The home side took the lead on seven minutes after a mix-up in the away defence let in Anderson to fire home the opener.

A minute later the same player was played in by Noble but Pirie came out to save. Buchan sent in a dangerous cross and it was put into the away goal by one of the visitors.

On 30 minutes it was 3-0 after a Milne free kick came back off the post and Buchan then crossed for Calder to score. Tait then tested McRobb in the home goal and the keeper pulled off a great save.

Calder got his second of the game after a good move with Wemyss. Just after the break Invercairn pulled one goal back with a shot by Tait into the corner of the net. Back came Bellslea and Wemyss made it 5-1 when he rounded Pirie and tap into an empty net. The same player made it six for Bellslea after Rutter cut back for him to score.

Rosehearty Thistle faced an improving Faithlie United and the away side hit the magic dozen winning by 12-1.

Clinton Thistle played hosts to Panasonic Tavern and needed to win to keep their title challenge going. The match ended with another three points for the home side after winning by 4-1.

In the Victoria Coaches Cup semi-final, Invercairn United faced New Pitsligo for a place in the final against Faithlie United. The home side the first two chances when Martin and Gary Paterson had one-on-one with Simpson in the away goal and the keeper brought off two great saves.

Against the run of play the away side took the lead after a Michael Stephen shot rebounded off the bar and Fraser did well on the right to cut back for Neil Christie to score.

On the break Martin did well and played in Jake who beat his marker and cut in to fire low into the net.

Both teams were creating chances but there were no takers until manager G. Paterson Snr handled the ball on the line when it was heading for the top corner. M. Fraser fired home the penalty.

The Pitsligo keeper got involved with an Invercairn player and he was red-cared for violent conduct. The resulting penalty was taken by J. Duthie who hit the bar and out for a goal kick.

John James Sim levelled the score after a defensive mistake by the away defence let him in on goal and he slotted home. Pitsligo were reduced to nine men after Wood picked up a second caution.

Martin was in on goal but his shot was saved by Alexander but rebounded to JJ Sim and his shot came off the post and away. Pitsligo took the lead again from a Black corner N. Christie rose high above the home defence to score. M. Fraser added a fourth goal from another penalty. Martin did pull one back near the end but Pitsligo held on to win.


Deejays Nightclub League - Bellslea 3, Rosehearty T

histle 0; Elizabethan Link Up 2, Faithlie United 3; Clinton

Thistle 3, New Deer 2;

Elizabethan Link Up 3, Cheers 1; Clinton Thistle 4, Panasonic Tavern 1; Bellslea 6, Invercairn United 1; Rosehearty Thistle 1, Faithlie United 12.

Victoria Coaches Cup semi-

final - Invercairn United 3, New Pitsligo 4.

Fixtures for Friday, September 2:

League - Panasonic Tavern v St Combs (kick-off 6.45pm).

Saturday, September 3:

Brucklay Cup, first round - Bellslea v New Deer; New

Pitsligo v Clinton Thistle; Rosehearty Thistle v St Drostans (kick-off 2pm).