Cuminestown Shield action

League leaders Longside Thistle faced Methlick at the weekend and the home side went on to win by 8-3.

The home scorers were Neil Buchan (netting four), a brace from Ewen Little and one each from Davie Anderson and David Fraser.

Phd Pensioners faced rivals Grange United and the away side started the better but couldn’t finish ant chances off.

The home side took the lead after they were awarded a penalty and Fergile McGhee fired home.

Grange continued to miss a host of chances and finally Mark Walker headed in the equaliser at the near post from a corner. In the second half it was a more even game but neither side could score a winner so both sides had to settle for a point each.

Mambos had Harbour Lights as their league opponents and the match ended with the home side winning by 4-2.

The winning goals came from Alan Brown, James Timmins, Luke Stephen and Martyn Duncan and replying for the away side were Michael Rhynd and Damie Duncan.

The last league game was between Buchanhaven Rangers against Ardallie and it ended all square in a high scoring draw with each team netting four goals.

Rangers scorers were Adam Kendall, who fired in a hatrick, and the other from Matthew Kendall and for the away side was Stuart Park with a brace, one from Jamie McNeil and an own goal.

In the Cuminestown Shield quarter-final, Grange United faced Phd Pensioners for a second time in three days for a place in the semi-final and they made no mistake going through after winning by 6-3.

The winning goals came from Marc Walker with a hatrick and one each from James Donaldson, AJ Buchan and Brent Holtby Wall. Replying for the visitors were Alan Geddes, James Morgan and Graeme Wood.

In the other quarter-final, Mambos were facing Longside and the home side took the lead with a goal from Alan Brown, but Ewen Little fired a 35-yard shot into the top corner of the net to draw the away side level.

A ball over the top of the Mambos’ defence was latched on to by Neil Buchan who rounded the keeper and slotted the ball into an empty goal.

The visitors stretched their lead with a brilliant finish by Little. Mambos pulled a goal back just before half time when Timmons on the right cut back across goal and Luke Stephen fired home.

Early in the second half an Alan Brown left foot shot found the net from 18 yards to level the game.

Back came Longside and N. Buchan played in Little to net his hatrick.

Mambos hit back with another fantastic goal from Martyn Duncan from 30 yards over keeper Turriff to square the match at 4-4.

Longside were awarded a free kick and it was swung in and Begley headed home. With the last kick of the game a mistake by Turriff let in Timmins to score.

Into a penalty shootout and it was the away keeper who was the hero saving three penalties to put Longside into the semi-final. The winning pens came from Wayne Buchan, Davie Anderson and Neil Begley.


Cuminestown Shield quarter-final - Ardallie v BH Rangers; Cuminestown v Methlick.

League - Mambos v Grange United (kick-off 7pm).

Monday, July 9:

League - Grange Utd v Longside Thistle; Mambos v Methlick; Phd Pensioners v Ardallie (kick-off 7pm).