editorial image

FIRST onto the attack was ‘Town with Kirk curling in a cross which keeper Stewart dealt with easily. Clinton went on the break with Whyte surging past two players and finding Buchan on the right but his cross went just over the bar.

Clinton should have taken the lead when Whitecross sent in a cross which fell to Kirk and he fired over from six yards. At the other end Humphries played in Milne but his shot was saved by Fraser at the cost of a corner which was swung across by Milne and Fowlie rose above the Town defence to head home the opening goal.

Town earned a free kick on the edge of the Clinton box and Strachan fired in a rocket of a shot which Stewart did well to save but the ball fell to Robertson who fired over from close range. Simon Whyte then hit a shot from outside the box straight at Fraser.

A Chris Strachan free kick was deflected goalwards and brought another fine save from Stewart. Just before half time Whyte went on a mazy run beating three players and was eventually halted by a good tackle by Chapman.

Town started the second half the better and another free kick was floated into the Clinton box which Stewart held. Kirk went on the attack down the right but his cross was just too high for the in rushing attackers.

Fowlie for Clinton was immense in the air, winning all the headers in defence. Strachan again brought a save from Stewart. Town were now being camped in the Clinton half and nearly drew level but Noble was calm on the goal line chested the ball down and clearing.

Town came close once more when a cross came in, it deceived keeper Stewart and went over him and came back off the bar. Town then had a series of corners which the Clinton defence manned by keeper Stewart and defender Fowlie did well to keep out the Town attack.

On 90 minutes Clinton broke from their own half with Simon Whyte going past the last defender and smashing the ball into the net for Clinton to lift the cup.

The match was played in a very sporting manner and the three officials handled the game well. Cuminestown were the better team on the night but lacked the final punch in attack.

Clinton’s heroes were keeper Stewart who was brilliant on the night and he was helped out by the outstanding Stuart Fowlie.

Thanks were expressed to Fraserburgh FC for the use of their facilities and the Bellslea Bar for providing the after-match sandwiches. Also Sally Leask for helping with the presentation of all trophies.

In the Deejays Nightclub League, Panasonic Tavern played hosts to Faithlie United and the away side took the lead with a goal from Martin Buchan, a minute later Panasonic were level with a Lee Ingils penalty then the scorer provided the cross for Dane Ballard to head home.

Buchan then levelled the score with his second of the match before half time. Glen McNiven put the home side ahead again and Ingils added a fourth then Ballard scored two more to net his hatrick.

Faithlie nearly completed a marvellous comeback when Gary Clark pulled one back for the visitors and Buchan added another two to complete the score for Panasonic win by 6-5.

New Pitsligo piled on the misery to Rosehearty Thistle hitting double figures as the away side struggled for players. The home side went on to win by 14-1. The winning goals came from Morven Wood hitting four, hatricks from Gibby Stephen, Ryan Christie and Michael Fraser and one from Gerrard McClusky and for the away side was Bruce.

Mormond Thistle entertained Rosehearty Thistle and it was the home side that collected all three points in a game of eight goals.

The home goals came from Michael Sutherland and Ross Brown scoring braces and the other by Martin Smith and replying for the away side was Sandy Maitland with a brace and one from Conner Scott.

New Pitsligo entertained Panasonic Tavern and the first chance of the game fell to Michael Fraser who fired wide. Andy Gray came close from 25 yards out. Jamie Wilson fired over from 12 yards then Ballard did well at the other end but shot narrowly past the post.

Scott Duncan came close when his shot beat the away keeper but was cleared on the line. The match changed when Pitsligo were awarded a debatable penalty. Michael Fraser sent the keeper the wrong way to score.

Ingils had a shot from 20 yards but it was straight at the keeper. Stephen made the points safe after some good work by Christie and Gibby Stephen fired home to end the scoring. New Deer played hosts to Cheers and the home side took the lead in the first minute with a goal from Jack Heatherwick. David Strachan added a second before half time. Gary Taylor and Andrew Fowlie added two more before Cheers pulled one back through Mark Atkinson.

Peter Stewart scored a fifth to end the scoring. Both teams ended the match with ten players after Ian Duncan, New Deer and Jordan Jamieson, Cheers received red cards.

St Combs faced Elizabethan Link Up and the home side took the lead on 21 minutes after a good move with John Smith and Dunbar ended with Dollman scoring.

John Smith scored a second from a Dunbar cross. Into the second half and Link up pulled a goal back through Arron McDonald. On the hour mark St Combs restored their two-goal lead with Smith getting a bit of luck as his shot was saved but rebounded back off the keeper and hit Smith and into the net.

Brent Bruce pulled it back to 3-2. Dan Callaghan restored the home side’s two-goal lead once more from the penalty spot. In injury time Neil Taylor turned and fired a left foot shot into the top corner of the net.

Faithlie United welcomed St Drostans as visitors in their league game and the home side collected another three welcome points keeping a clean sheet and scoring six. A hatrick was scored by Daniel Reid, a brace from Martin Buchan and the other by Barry Stephen.


Deejays Nightclub League - Panasonic Tavern 6, Faithlie United 5; New Pitsligo 14, Elizabethan Link Up 1; New Pitsligo 2, Panasonic Tavern 0; Faithlie United 6, St Drostans 0; New Deer 5, Cheers 1; Mormond Thistle 5, Rosehearty Thistle 3; St Combs 5, Elizabethan Link Up 2.

Gordon Leask Memorial Cup final - Cuminestown 0, Clinton Thistle 2.

Fixtures for Tuesday, August 9:

League - Faithlie United v Invercairn United; New Pitsligo v Clinton Thistle (kick-off 7pm).

Saturday, August 13:

League - Bellslea v Cheers; Rosehearty Thistle v Invercairn United; Panasonic Tavern v Mormond Thistle; New Deer v Faithlie United; St Drostans v St Combs (kick-off 2pm).