Defensive performance undermines Burgh win

John Willox tries to win the ball from a Huntly defender.
John Willox tries to win the ball from a Huntly defender.

A relatively poor display from the Broch in the first-half last weekend almost cost them more points in the lead up to the final games of the season.

Hosting Huntly, a side who had been battered by Formartine United for 10 goals earlier in the month, the Burgh found it difficult to break past a hassling defensive line.

Craig Dorrat twice left the Burgh’s back four in his wake before slotting past Paul Leask in the home goal on the 8th and then 22nd minute.

Just before the half-hour mark, however, Fraserburgh got into the game, Steven Main flighting in an almost inch perfect free-kick which left ‘keeper Fraser Hobday grasping at air, the ball hitting the back of the net after deflecting off the inside of the post.

A stramash of action in the visitor’s box as bodies flew in to try to pluck the ball either out of danger or into the back of the net, and quality saves from Leask at the other end of the pitch dotted the time between that goal and the next, an in-form Peter Alexander Bruce finally bringing the Burgh level ahead of the whistle.

After the restart, the Burgh capitalised on what would have been a downhearted Huntly, having let their lead slip.

Despite going ahead on 50 minutes through a John Willox goal, the Burgh saw themselves be brought back into the scrap when Neale Davidson converted his chance just past the hour mark.

Needing that something special to finish the game off, the Burgh need not have looked further than their own Scott Barbour to keep the points at home.

The pacy forward left Hobday stranded when, on the final minute, he got his goal.

Fraserburgh’s manager, Kris Hunter, had recently bemoaned the spell of consistency, the lack thereof, that his side had been going through of late. This performance will have likely done little to improve that stance, but a hard-fought comeback at least sent the fans home happy.

The Burgh travel to Nairn on April 5.