Disappointing draw for Broch at North Lodge Park

  • Formartine United 1-1 Fraserburgh
  • Steven Davidson heads Broch infront in first half
  • Cammy Keith chips Cowe late on to salvage point

Kris Hunter’s men were forced to settle for a point against Formartine United last Wednesday in a game where the Broch felt they deserved more.

Formartine had the game under control for the first 10 minutes as Fraserburgh struggled to settle into the match.

Gary Clark’s shot from 20 yards after just two minutes was a low powerful drive that went inches wide of the far post.

Calum Dingwall and Mark Madle both had opportunities in the earlier encounters with Dingwall’s shot from the edge of the area taking a bobble on the pitch and ending up safely in Scott Cowe’s gloves while Madle had a strong header from a Paul Napier corner which went across the face of goal and wide.

Courtney Cooper had Fraserburgh’s first chance of the match when he blasted a shot well over the cross bar from outside the area.

After this Fraserburgh steadied and went on to dominate the rest of the half.

20 minutes in and a Graham Hay back header for Formartine was poor and allowed Scott Barbour to get in behind the defence and go through one on one with Andy Shearer but Fraserburgh’s top goal scorer would drag his shot wide of the far post.

Not long after and Willie West could have got the opener but headed wide from a Ryan Cowie curling free kick.

On the half hour mark Scott Barbour missed another opportunity to put his side in front when he got on the end of Russel McBride’s powerful free kick towards the near post but the striker’s flicked shot went past the wrong side of the post.

Fraserburgh continued to put the pressure on and Steven Davidson’s deflected shot hit the outside of the post before Scott Barbour broke into the box and rounded Andy Shearer but left himself no angle to shoot and fired into the side netting.

Three minutes before half time and Steven Davidson finally got the brake through goal for Fraserburgh. Ryan Cowie’s cross took a touch on its way into the box and found Davidson who had got himself in front of his marker to power a strong header past Shearer from 10 yards.

Formartine nearly levelled the score just before the break but Scot Cowe produced a good save to tip Paul Napier’s shot from 20 yards over the cross bar.

The contest was more even in the second half with both sides having chances but it was Graham Johnston who came closest all game without scoring when his beautifully curled free kick at goal left Shearer no chance of saving, luckily for Formartine the cross bar denied Johnston as his shot smashed the wood work and came back into play for Formartine to clear.

Just after the hour mark and Formartine brought on Stuart McKay and Craig Duguid and moments after McKay should have scored with his first touch of the ball.

Cammy Keith beat Russel McBride on the edge of the box before playing the ball across the face of Scott Cowe’s goal to McKay level with the penalty spot but the substitute’s effort was poor and went sailing over the cross bar.

Formartine would go om to level the match in the 75th minutes after both sides had spells baring down on each others goals.

Stuart McKay made up for his earlier miss with an excellent ball over the top of the Fraserburgh defence which Cammy Keith got on the end of 8 yards out to clip the ball over the top of Cowe who had come out and draw the scores level.

Stuart McKay then had another good chance to score when he saw Cowe off his line again but the Formartine players chip shot from the corner of the box went wide of the far post.

Scott Barbour could have had a hat trick in the game with the chances he failed to convert and in the 82nd minute he rifled a shot from 20 yards over the bar. The Broch’s top scorer had more time to control the ball and the effort was poor in the end.

Graham Johnston caused problems again with his set pieces this time whipping a dangerous ball into the box five minutes before time but luckily for Formartine the touch inside the congested box took the ball wide of the top corner.

Neither team looked happy to settle for a draw in the closing stages but would have to when the final whistle came and Fraserburgh assistant manager Mike Cormack felt his side deserved more from the game.

“The chances we had in the first half we should have scored three or four easy and we paid for it in the end.

“We let them back in with a slack defensive error and Cammy Keith’s lobbed the goalie but overall I think we should have won the game.

“It was a frustrating night for Scott Barbour but he will come around again, he just needs a goal and he’s away.”

Fraserburgh next play Keith at Kynoch Park on Saturday.

“There were positives from the first half we can take into that game.

“We dominated and won the first half and if we can take our chances on Saturday we should come away with all three points.”

Formartine manager Steve Paterson however, felt a draw was probably a fair result from the match.

“I think the result was fair. In the first half Fraserburgh had quite a few good chances and were the better team but we got better, made a double substitution and that seemed to give us a spark.

“We pushed the game on a bit and I think a draw was probably a fair outcome.

“In the end I was satisfied, Fraserburgh are a good side and are on a good run and from our point of view it might not be the best result but it’s acceptable.”

There was some good news for Fraserburgh on the night however as they advanced to the final of the Morrison Motors Aberdeenshire Shield. Peterhead opted to pull out of the competition rather than face the Broch due to problems with the timing and date of the match.