Faithlie Utd triumph over New Pitsligo in cup final

Faithlie United lift the Ship Inn League Cup after victory over New Pitsligo.
Faithlie United lift the Ship Inn League Cup after victory over New Pitsligo.

The match kicked off and for the first few minutes play went from end to end with no real chances being created.

Faithlie took the lead on eight minutes when Anderson cut in and curled his shot past Simpson in the Pitsligo goal.

At the other end a dangerous corner by Taylor was cleared at the near post by Allan.

A ball over the top of the Faithlie defence was cut out by the Faithlie keeper Ormerod.

Stephen came close to levelling when he looked to have scored, but his goal-bound header was cleared off the line.

On 35 minutes Pitsligo drew level when a ball from Stephen found Innes with just the keeper to beat and he calmly lobbed the keeper to scorer.

Pitsligo then had a big shout for a penalty waived aside by the Referee.

Three minutes later Faithlie regained the lead when a Garden cross found Roy Noble unmarked in the middle and he made no mistake with his finish.

The last chance of the first half fell to Christie who could only fire wide.

Faithlie started the second half on the front foot and Lawrence had a good case for a penalty waived away.

Pitsligo replied with a Stephen shot which Ormerod parried wide.

Black made a fine run through the middle of the Faithlie defence but an Allan rash tackle halted Black and was cautioned.

Reid took the free kick and fired well wide.

Lawrence thought he had stretched the Faithlie lead but his goal was ruled offside.

A Noble volley also came close for Faithlie.

Black sent in a dangerous cross, headed on by Stephen but Christie couldn’t keep his shot on target.

Faithlie were looking dangerous on the break and only a fine tackle from Black prevented Lawrence in on goal.

Ormerod then made a fine save from a Reid shot.

Michie was next to bring another save from Ormerod.

From a corner Christie header beat Ormerod but was cleared off the line.

Innes had a great chance to level the score when he rose high to head but was wide of the post. With five minutes remaining Faithlie were awarded a free kick on the left side of the penalty box.

Dale Allan curled in a ball to the front post and it crept under Simpson in the Pitsligo goal.