Fraserburgh fall at first hurdle in League Cup

Broch v Wick 2
Broch v Wick 2

Fraserburgh were unlucky to be knocked out of the Breedon Aggregates Highland League Cup at the weekend as the lost 2-1 to visitors Wick Academy.

A Steven Anderson-Harris goal in the first half and a Richard Mackie penalty just after the hour mark gave the 
Highland side a 2-0 lead before Graham Johnston pulled a goal back with 15 minutes to go.

Fraserburgh boasted a strong side going into their first game in over a month while the visitors were missing several key players.

The first chance of the game went to Wick’s Richard Macadie who shot over the bar with a 25-yard piledriver.

Shortly after Fraserburgh had the chance to open the scoring as Courtney Cooper tried his luck from distance with a shot which was deflected out for a corner.

It was just before the half-hour mark when Academy took the lead. Broch keeper Scott Cowe parried away a Anderson-Harris shot only as far as Polish striker Lukasz Geruzel whose rebound was headed off the line by Russel McBride but fell to Anderson-Harris who finished from ten yards.

Fraserburgh had the first real effort of the second half when substitute striker Peter Alexander Bruce forced a 
fantastic save from keeper Sean McCarthy from close range.

The Wick keeper then made another save this time with a bit of luck as the Broch were agonisingly unlucky not to be level.

Mark Cowie’s shot from inside the box beat the stopper but rattled off the woodwork before bouncing back into the hands of McCarthy who was grounded.

Shortly after this, against the run of play, Wick doubled their lead. Anderson-Harris was brought down inside the box by Bryan Hay and Richard Macadie sent Cowe the wrong way from the spot kick.

Fraserburgh pushed to get back in the game as a Bryan Hay header came back off the cross bar.

Then in the 75th minute the home side’s persistence finally paid off when Graham Johnston struck a superb curling 25-yard shot into the top corner.

Then, barely a minute after, Johnston repeated the magnificence with an almost identical effort to equalise but the linesman raised his flag for offside.

The home side were rightfully left furious and confused as the ball didn’t touch any other player on its way in.

The Broch tried and tried again to find the equaliser but Wick held out for the victory and will advance in the cup to face Clachnacuddin.