Fraserburgh too much for lacklustre Lossie

Fraserburgh Football Club thrashed Lossiemouth 3-1 last weekend, the Burgh seeing out the game with a second-half Scott Barbour hat-trick. Jordan McBain had put the visitors ahead 10 minutes after the break.

Monday, 13th January 2014, 8:39 am
Hat-trick hero Scott Barbour takes a shot against Lossiemouth.

The Burgh had started the game the better of the two sides, but found chances limited due to the strong defending of Lossie’s back four, marking lone attack Scott Barbour expertly for the first 45 minutes.

There was a good shout for a first-half penalty when Barbour was brought down by a Christopher Ross tackle, but referee Mark Stewart waved it away without a second thought. Several offside calls for the Broch, also, prevented any real opportunity for the home side to go ahead, despite the work of Steven Main in providing a handful of crosses from the left wing.

A first-half free-kick from John Chalmers was the Burgh’s best chance to find an opener, despite being from an unlikely distance. The young midfielder whipped in a ball which managed to avoid a mass of players from both sides before clattering against Errol Watson’s left-hand post and bobbling clear.

Lossie, for their part, booted long-balls into the Station End without much success for much of the half, only causing problems when they strung several passes through the centre together to leave the Broch defence, which was missing Russell McBride, in tatters. Paul Leask, however, was more than up to the challenge of the visitor’s efforts.

The second-half started as the first ended, the Burgh attacking at every opportunity.

Their work paid off jut past the 50 minute mark when Barbour latched on to a William West cross to head an unmarked effort past Watson. Five minutes later, however, McBain expertly controlled turned Leask to fire the visitors level.

Between the second and third goals, the Broch will be disappointed that a first appearance for Ryan Smart was cut cruelly short. Coming on as a replacement for Scott Fowlie, Smart was soon, four minutes into his Bellslea debut, substituted after picking up an injury.

Marc Dickson, meanwhile, was shown a second yellow after fouling Callum Dunbar.

Despite being down to 10 men, the Broch continued to take chances in attack, their attacking mentality perhaps usurping any chance of Lossie putting the game to rest.

Christopher Ross’ effort to close down Barbour in the box could perhaps be forgiven, then, by his own support, the defender gifting the Burgh a penalty after bringing the pacey attacker down which he, in turn, calmly converted.

Barbour capped the Burgh performance with another goal at the death, chipping past Watson to secure a memorable hat-trick for the 22-year-old.

With three points in the bag, and six games unbeaten, the Burgh will travel to Forres Mechanics this Saturday in an effort to gain more ground on the teams around them. The Fraserburgh Football Club Supperters Club will run a bus to the game, leaving the harbour offices at 12:15pm.