Hunter returns to old side to snatch victory

Fraserburgh helped to extend Turriff United’s winless streak to four last Saturday, the Burgh putting on a vintage display to demolish United’s defence.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 3rd March 2014, 9:33 am
Fraserburgh also beat Turriff when they hosted their rivals at the Bellslea.

United have not won a game in the Highland League since their February 1 fixture against Huntly, a side they are currently three points behind in the table.

The Burgh had met their opponents, manager Kris Hunter’s former side, twice this season already, both games having been tight affairs with little in it either way. However, since their last meeting in the Aberdeenshire Shield, Fraserburgh have struck fine vein form.

The same cannot be said for their Aberdeenshire rivals.

Going into the game, Hunter had said that Turriff always tried to get one over on the Burgh, his close ties to both clubs adding to excitement when they meet.

“They always like to put one over on us with me being their previous, and they always seem to fire themselves up for games against us.

“My players will know what to expect - they expect a cup final every time they play Turriff. They always want to beat us,” Hunter said, last week.

With PA Bruce back in the side, it did not take long for the former Peterhead player to make an impact, picking up the ball from an initial cross from Turriff-turned-Brocher Grant Noble to fire it into the back of the net at the 22nd minute.

Scott Barbour (pictured in the last meeting of the two sides in the Highland League) put the Broch further ahead just before the 40th minute, rounding a defender, after being fed the ball by John Willox, to convert.

Turriff hit back almost immediately after Barbour’s effort, Aaron McKenna picking up on a loose ball to score what would prove to be only a consolation goal.

Shortly after half-time, Courtney Cooper scored after a goalkeeping mistake to end the game as a contest, the young Brocher seeing the ball deflect off of himself and into Kieran McAffrey’s net. McAffrey, injured in the exchange that led to the goal, was then replaced by Paul Willox.

Bruce scored his second of the game before the hour mark, the Burgh seeing the game out thereafter.

The win sees Fraserburgh cement their hold on sixth place for another week. With games in hand over both Deveronvale (fifth) and Buckie Thistle (seventh), the Burgh may have a chance to rise further with a victory this Saturday against Rothes.