Invercairn United Reach Scottish Cup Final

On a bitterly cold Saturday afternoon at a busy College Park, Invercairn United and Mormond Thistle faced off for a place in the final of the Donald McNair Scottish Cup.

Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 2:14 pm
Updated Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 3:20 pm

In a keenly contested game it was The Bilger’s who ultimately edged out their Strichen counterparts by four goals to one and now travel to play the final at Alloa FC’s Recreation Park.

The match kicked off in freezing, snowy and blustery conditions, yet despite the weather Invercairn began red hot and raced into the lead within 5mins as Liam Reid won the ball in midfield playing it forward to Whyte who clipped a lovely ball over the Mormond defence where James GIBB raced through to slot past Allan in the Mormond goal.

Not resting on their lead Invercairn continued to press and grabbed a quick-fire second on 11mins when Whyte won a penalty and GIBB stepped up to slam the ball home.

On 66mins and against the run of play Invercairn grabbed the crucial third goal as JJ Sim stole the ball in midfield from Rennie and quickly fed Patterson, his dinked pass split the Thistle back line and found WHYTE whose lovely chest control took him round the onrushing Allan and he thumped home to send the vociferous Bilger fans into delirium.

Barely had the cheers died down but Mormond had struck back.

On 68mins a foraging run by Cook on the left saw him skip past Falconer before lashing the ball across the goal where ROBERTSON chested home from 2yards out.

As both sets of players tired, United wrapped the game up on 81mins.

Pressure from Bilger’s Gauld and WATSON forced Thomson into a mistake with the young winger nipping the ball off the defender’s toes before shinning a bobbled shot beyond the despairing dive of Allan to send the

Invercairn will now fly the flag for the North East Scottish Welfare Association as they face Glasgow side Maukinhill United in the final after they had defeated local side Bellslea in the other semi-final.