Link Up make it look so easy

Fraserburgh’s Link Up Under 14 side suffered an early scare in last week’s game when an enthusiastic and robust Torphins side took the lead with a brilliantly executed lob from the edge of the box by their number eight.

Thankfully, the lads’ response was immediate, making it 1-1 when Cameron sent a good ball up the left touchline for McCrory to nudge past the full-back and square the ball to Simpson who slotted home.

A Stott kick-out was then head-flicked into McRory’s path.

He made ground down the right wing and slipped a great pass through the visitors’ defence for Simpson to meet and bundle the ball past the keeper for the Broch’s second.

Towards the end of the first-half, Link Up began to take control and create a stream of chances.

They made it 3-1 shortly before half-time when McRory and Simpson combined to great effect once more for Bailey to notch his hat-trick by cutting in from inside left and sending a rasping shot just inside the far upright.

After the restart, Gilmartin began to feature prominently, winning two successive aerial midfield duels with strong, well-timed headers.

He followed this, shortly afterwards, by exchanging passes with Mutch for a slick one-two which allowed him to burst into the Torphins box and strike a low drive just wide.

Having won their various individual battles all over the pitch, the Brochers were now enjoying their best spell of the match.

Assured at the back and content to retain possession with good passing in midfield they seemed secure in the knowledge that more chances would come.

The final goal was arguably the most pleasing, as Simpson supplied his deftest touch of the day, calmly stroking a side-foot finish out of the reach of the keeper after McRory had, once again, found him with the accurate final pass of a good team move.

Simpson continued to show his skill and energy when he spun on the left touchline then powered away from three defenders.

He made a bee-line into the Torphin’s box, steadied himself and rattled the far post with a fizzing low drive which had the keeper well beaten.

He then repeated the trick, but chose to square across the face of goal.

Unfortunately, there were no takers.

Torphins, to their credit, had not given up and, in the closing stages, Mair twice had to intervene as the last defender with solid, well-timed tackles which would have done Alan Hansen proud.

Link Up were still on top, however, and Mutch, in particular, grew in confidence as he displayed a good football brain to keep moves flowing by spraying some excellent passes to his team-mates.

All in all, this was an excellent team performance which saw Link Up get well into double figures, in terms of clear-cut chances created.

On another day, they could easily have doubled their goal count, but the important thing is that they are prepared to work for each other and are gelling well as a result.