Maud boys are in seventh heaven in Grill League Cup

Maud hit Islavale for seven in the Grill League Cup last week.

The Buchan side started well and took the lead after seven minutes when Fraser did some great work and he played in Luke Barbour who cooly finished. Three minutes later it was all square as Blackhall fired home. Two minutes later Maud regained their lead when Barbour held the ball up well then played in the advancing Hale who made no mistake. On 17 minutes Stuart Hodge got on the score sheet after good work from Barbour.

Two minutes later the away side scored a second through Winton. Maud regained their two-goal lead in the 32nd minute when Hodge hit home with an overhead kick from 12 yards. Maud started to control the game early into the second half and went further ahead when Fraser Hall sent in a great cross which Luke Barber headed past the keeper.

A minute later

Maud were then awarded a free kick about 30 yards out, manager Hale stepping up to rifle home to make it 6-2.

Just past the hour mark and Maud made a couple of changes with Rae and Fraser being replaced by Ritchie and A Bremner. Hodge played a ball down the left for Barbour who beat two defenders but keeper Robertson came out to block. Hale was unlucky not to get his hatrick when an Alexander cross to the back post was gathered by A. Bremner who laid it off to Hale and his shot hit one post then along the line and hit the other post before Robertson gathered.

Blackhall came close when he cut in from his shot was well held by Barbour in the home goal. On 68 minutes Maud were awarded a penalty after Barbour was fouled inside the box. Stuart Hodge stepped up a cooly sent the keeper the wrong was to get his hatrick and Maud’s seventh. A much better second half performance where Maud were in total control of the game and it was nice to see new boy Stuart Hodge netting his first hatrick for Maud. Luke Barbour had another fine match up front but the whole team deserves great credit for a stunning performance.