Maud through to another cup final

Maud marched onto another cup final - this time in the McLeman Cup - after a 3-0 win over Stonehaven.

Early on Barbour in the home goal did well to punch clear from a Sulkevicius corner under immense pressure from the home attackers.

An Alexander freekick was met at the back post by S. Robertson but the defender couldn’t keep his header on target. Stark in the home goal had to react quickly and he gathered at the feet of L. Barbour at the back post.

Bellu made a storming run down the right and cut in past Robertson but his cutback was intercepted by Kirk and cleared up field.

Maud took the lead on 39 minutes when Morrice and Duguid played a one-two on the right and Morrice’s cross was missed at the front post by Chalmers but ran through to S. Bremner at the back post who made no mistake.

Stonehaven came close to drawing level in the second half when Armstong hit a free kick from 20 yards towards the top corner but Barbour was able to tip over the bar.

With 10 minutes gone, Kirk was adjudged to have fouled inside the box and the ref awarded a penalty. Shand stepped up to take the kick but Barbour pulled off another fine penalty save.

Maud came more into the game and Duguid should have extended their lead but his header was straight at Stark from close. The same player was played in on the right but shot into the side netting and another chance was gone.

On the hour-mark Maud replaced Kirk with Bain and they were awarded a free kick 20 yards out. James Duguid unleashed a tremendous shot which rifled into the top corner of the net past the helpless Stark to double the Maud lead.

Duguid had another great chance to score after an Alexander cross fell to him, but he could only head wide.

A good move by Barbour and Duguid ended with Stark making a fine save.

On 75 minutes Anderson let fly from outside the box and his dipping shot hit the top of the bar and away. The home side were pushing forward and Barbour made a fine save from a Watt drive. Substitute Berton was causing a few problems on the left and his cross was smashed against the post by Watt.

Maud made a second change on 78 minutes with Fraser replacing Morrice. Fraser made a long run down the right and played a brilliant ball into the box to find Bain 6 yards out but he scuffed his shot wide. Maud final change was J Robertson on for Duguid. In the dying minutes Fraser went flying past Pyper down the right and his cross was met by S. Bremner who buried the ball into the net for Maud’s third goal.

Maud started slowly but as the game progressed Maud’s confidence grew and started to carve out chances.

Maud: J Barbour, Graham, Alexander, S Robertson, Kirk, Ritchie, S Bremner, Chalmers, L Barbour, Duguid, Morrice Subs: Bain, Simpson, Fraser, J Robertson, A Bremner