Memorable victory for the Burgh at Forres Mechanics

Johnny Chalmers has had to wait for his first goal.
Johnny Chalmers has had to wait for his first goal.

Fraserburgh came from behind to secure their first victory at Mosset Park in 10 years thanks to a stirring second half performance against their hosts Forres Mechanics.

Fraserburgh were missing six first team regulars thanks to a combination of injury and suspension with Russell McBride and John Willox replacing Derek Paterson and Marc Dickson from the side that beat Lossiemouth the previous week.

Forres took the lead with the first attack of the game after two minutes. A free kick on the right was swung into the middle by Simon Allan and Graham Fraser rose highest to crash the ball home from 8 yards out.

Stuart Knight almost gifted the Broch an equaliser in the 4th minute when his clearance was charged down by Scott Barbour but the keeper collected the ball at the second attempt.

Stuart Soane then found space on the left wing to whip a ball across the face of the Broch goal but sadly for the home side there were no takers.

The Broch threatened again on 11 minutes when Courtney Cooper found John Willox who flicked the ball onto Willie West but his shot from 25 yards went just wide.

The visitors continued to have more of the play but despite having several corners they couldn’t make their pressure count. Scott Barbour went close with a free kick in the 18th minute but Stuart Knight did well to save.

The Broch should have equalised in the 20th minute after a sweeping move involving Ryan Cowie, Steven Main, Scott Barbour and Willie West saw the latter’s cross just elude John Willox six yards out and John Chalmers couldn’t find the net at the back post.

Forres had a chance on 25 minutes when Stuart Soane’s through ball found Kris Duncan and after the striker had rounded Paul Leask he could only shoot into the side netting from a tight angle.

Another through ball 3 minutes later saw the visitor’s offside trap sprung but Simon Allan could only shoot straight at Paul Leask from just inside the penalty box.

Forres continued to press for a second goal and Kyle Scott played a ball over the top of the Broch defence to Kris Duncan but once again Paul Leask saved and from Duncan’s rebound Bryan Hay blocked the ball at the expense of a corner. From this the ball found its way to Kyle Scott at the back post but he sclaffed his shot wide when it seemed easier to score.

Four minutes before the break Paul Leask’s long clearance broke to Scott Barbour, he flicked it back to Willie West who crashed a 25 yarder just wide of Stuart Knight’s left hand post.

As the match entered first half stoppage time Simon Allan’s corner was headed toward goal by Stuart Soane but Paul Leask did well to save and then Bryan Hay’s marauding run found Scott Barbour free on the right and when the striker cut into the box he fired a shot across Stuart Knight but just wide of the far post.

Willie West had a great chance to equalise three minutes after the break when Ryan Cowie found him unmarked with his cross from the left but the Fraserburgh midfielder rushed his effort and it drifted wide of the goal.

The leveller was only delayed two minutes though after Scott Barbour had driven into the penalty area, the ball broke back to Steven Main and as he smashed the ball across the six yard box John Chalmers came rushing in at the back post to rifle the ball home.

The visitors went looking for another and Courtney Cooper found Scott Barbour just outside the penalty box but his raking shot was tipped over by Stuart Knight.

The young striker then had another effort on 57 minutes when Ryan Cowie found him inside the area with a long pass but Knight was equal to the task again.

Just after the hour Ryan Cowie cross into the middle to John Willox who laid the ball off to Steven Main and the veteran Broch player smacked a shot off the bar from 18 yards.

Forres had been almost non-existent as an attacking force in the second half but they had a chance on 78 minutes when Simon Allan fired a free kick straight a Paul Leask from 25 yards out.

A minute later the Broch took a deserved lead when Paul Leask’s long ball found Scott Barbour wide on the left he drove to the by-line and fired the ball across where it was turned into his own net by Steven Fraser for an own goal.

With three minutes remaining Russell McBride played a long free kick into Graham Johnston’s feet, the striker turned his marker and fired a shot from 20 yards at goal but Stuart Knight managed to tip the ball over for a corner.

The keeper was not so fortunate in the 90th minute though when he took a short goal kick to Graeme Grant and after he got the ball back he dallied too long and Scott Barbour nipped the ball of his toes and slid the ball into the empty net to finish the match.