Memorial Cup action for Welfare teams

IN the Terry Sutton Memorial Cup first round, Faithlie United played host to St. Combs, with the best chance of the game falling to Ross Cardno who was played in twice but on both occasions was foiled by the home keeper.

Faithlie’s best chance was a long-range shot which bounced up but Gordon dealt with it easily. The only goal of the game came from Neil Taylor and this earned them a quarter-final tie away to Mormond Thistle.

Pitsligo’s strike force of Gibby Stephen and Neil Christie proved too hot to handle when they faced Invercairn United for a place in the semi-finals and a close game was expected.

Pitsligo took the lead on 20 minutes when Gibby Stephen was in on goal and squared to Neil Christie to score. Christie nearly added another but his header went past the post.

The away side drew level after Darren Barbour picked the ball up 30 yards out and unleashed a bullet of a shot which flew past the home keeper into the top of the net.

In the second half the home side took control of the game and took the lead when Christie held off his marker and shot low into the net. Stephen added a third from a long throw from Scott Duncan. Shortly after a free kick by Duncan was misjudged by Pirie in the away goal and it came off the bar and Stephen was on hand to head home.

In another quarter-final Bellslea had the chance to turn the tables on Clinton Thistle who had beaten them previously in the League Cup. The match finished 1-1 with Fraser Watt scoring for Bellslea and for Clinton was Stuart Fowlie.

The Bellslea keeper was the hero with a string of fine saves including a saved penalty from Fowlie. The tie was won in extra time with a second goal from Watt. .

The other quarter-final between Rosehearty Thistle and St Drostans was even closer. At the end of 90 minutes the score was 1-1 with an own goal from Lorne Noble for the home side and Robert Murray scoring for St Drostans. After extra time the tie went to a penalty shootout in which both sides had nine penalties each with the winning one coming from Mark Brown for Rosehearty Thistle.

In the Deejays Nightclub League the game of the day was at St Combs where they entertained New Pitsligo. The home side took the lead on four minutes with a penalty which Dan Callaghan scored.

Just four minutes later they doubled their lead with a tap-in goal from John Smith at the back post. They went further ahead when David Buchan’s left foot shot curled in at the back post.

New Pitsligo put on Michael Stephen in the second half and he went on to score two goals. This keeps St Combs’ 100% record in the league intact.

Elizabethan Link Up had Mormond Thistle as visitors in their league game and it ended all-square as they shared four goals. Mormond finished the match with ten players after Martin Burnette was sent off.

New Deer had Rosehearty Thistle as visitors and the home side continued on from a fine win last week with a convincing win over Rosehearty Thistle scoring four goals without reply.

St. Drostans entertained Faithlie with both teams struggling for players. The Saint’s took the game to the visitors with Alan Anderson scoring from a 25-yard strike, leaving the keeper rooted to the spot.

With some last ditch defending and good goal keeping, Faithlie kept the score at 1-0 till half time.

Saints increased their lead when Sam Morris broke up the left and fired the ball past the advancing keeper. Faithlie drew one back through an own goal from a Saints defender. Anderson then increased the Saints lead to grab his second of the game.

In the Ship Inn League Cup semi-final, Panasonic Tavern welcomed Clinton Thistle as visitors and this was always going to be a close game with a place in the final to play New Deer. It was the away side that progressed to the final winning by 3-2 aet.

In the second round of the Gordon Leask Memorial Cup, Cheers played hosts to Ardallie for a place in the quarter-finals against Hatton.

Michael Greening gave the home side the lead against the run of play with a simple finish.

Alex Palla should have drawn Ardallie level when he beat the offside trap but keeper Cowe came to the rescue with a fine save. Ardallie did get an equaliser when they fired in a shot from 25 yards which dipped over the diving Cowe in to the net.

The match went into extra time and it was the away side that got the winner when Alec Pall beat the offside trap to get in on goal to fire home.

Fixtures for Tuesday, May 24:

League - Panasonic Tavern v Elizabethan Link Up; Clinton Thistle v Invercairn United; Bellslea v St Combs; Cheers v Faithlie United; New Pitsligo v St Drostans (kick-off 7pm).

Thursday, May 26:

Gordon Leask Cup quarter-final - Cuminestown v Mormond Thistle (kick-off 7.15).

Friday, May 27:

League - St Drostans v Clinton Thistle; New Deer v Invercairn United; St Combs v Cheers (kick-off 7pm); Rosehearty Thistle v New Pitsligo (kick-off 7.30pm).

Sarurday, May 28:

League - Bellslea v Faithlie United.

Highland Cup first round - Panasonic Tavern v Mosstodloch; Elizabethan Link Up v Granton (kick-off 2pm).