New Deer in action in Scottish Cup quarter-finals

NEW DEER travelled to face top side Wasps Community from the Forth Valley Welfare League in the quarter-final of the Scottish Cup at the weekend.

Both teams had chances in the first half but it was the home side that took the lead on 35 minutes with a well-taken goal.

Back came New Deer and Willie Robbie was through on goal and he lobbed the keeper but it went narrowly past the post.

Ten minutes into the second half New Deer drew level with a free kick taken by John Branaghan who fired it into the corner of the net. Graham Pirie had a great chance to give the visitors the lead but the home keeper made a great save.

It ended 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes. Into extra time and both sides failed to convert any chances and so it was down to a penalty shootout which the home side won 4-2

In another one of the quarter-fsinals Clinton Thistle had home advantage over Kincardine. The home side started the better start and Milne was first to get a shot in but it went past the post.

Milne went down the right and his cross was met by Slater but he shot straight at the keeper.

At the other end James had a 20-yard volley which shot just over the bar. Stagg and G. Horne created a chance but Summers in the home goal easily saved.

The home side took the lead when a Noble cross came in and O’Connell in the home goal misjudged the cross and Falconer was on hand to score.

A Milne free kick was swung across and Fowlie’s header came crashing back off the bar. Again Clinton came close to doubling their lead when Milne on the right played across to Falconer but his shot was cleared off the line by G. Horne.

Anderson came close for the visitors with a 20 -ard shot which went narrowly past the post. Birrell crossed in a ball to the back post where D. Pearce header was heading for the top corner but Summers made a brilliant save but from the resulting corner

Kincardine drew level with a goal from David Pearce. A 25-yard free kick was curled round the wall by Noble but O’Connell got down to his left to gather.

Into the second half and Clinton should have taken the lead after good work by Slater and Whyte who played in Falconer but his shot was brilliantly headed off the line by G. Horne.

Summers came to the home side’s rescue diving at the feet of Gary Pearce.

Falconer then missed a golden chance to score but he managed to head over from inside the six-yard box.

McLeman and Stagg created a chance which ended with Anderson shooting just over the bar. Anderson set up McLeman this time but Summers made another good save.

Clinton took the lead on 83 minutes when Whyte picked the ball up 25 yards out, he ghosting past three defenders and into the penalty box, he crossed and Falconer hit an overhead kick which flew into the roof of the net.

The match ended with Clinton going through to the semi-final.

Results as follows:

Scottish Cup quarter-finals - Clinton Thistle 2 Kincardine 1, Wasps Community 1 New Deer 1, aet Wasps won 4-2 on pens