Round-up of all the welfare football action

In the Quarter Final of the Ship Inn League Cup, Mormond Thistle faced a daunting task against Clinton Thistle.

The away side eventually went on to win 10-1 - scorers being Alan Reid (4), Jamie Martin (2) and one a piece from Martyn Robertson, Robert Buchan, Chris Stewart and Stuart Fowlie. The goal for the home side came from Peter Watt.

Bellslea faced Faithlie United for the second time within a week, this time in the league. Faithlie keeper Coyle had an excellent save on five minutes from a Liam Farquhar shot.

Bellslea opened the scoring on 15 minutes with a header from William Calder from a Lee Fraser Corner. Coyle then had another two good saves, with John Ross coming close to doubling the Bellslea lead only for his header to come back off the bar. The away side drew level on 35 minutes with a near post header from Martin Buchan.

The second half started with both teams battling well with some strong physical play. Coyle made another three fine saves, while Faithlie had two good chances with headers from corners. Bellslea’s Duthie hit the bar from a freekick. In the last minute Bellslea were awarded a penalty for handball by Clark. William Calder converted the penalty to keep the home side in the league title race.

Mintlaw had home advantage over Mormond Thistle and this one finished with the home side winning 6-2. The winning goals were scored by Martin Burnett (2) and Jamie Park (2), with the others coming from Shaun Jamison and Murray Elrick. Replying for the visitors were Michael Cardno and Calum Brown.

St Combs faced New Deer in another league game and the home side took the lead after eight minutes when Mark McIntosh volleyed home. On 17 minutes it was 2-0 for the home side when Mark Stephen’s shot went in off the post. On the half-hour mark it was 3-0 after the away side keeper could only half save and McIntosh fired home. It stayed that way until the 58th minutes when Mark Fraser added a fourth. New Deer pulled one back on the hour-mark with a goal from Jimmy Ritchie. On 72 minutes Matthew Gordon completed the scoring after he scored a fifth for the home side.

Last game of the day was between the two young teams - Invercairn and Elizabethan Link Up - and by half-time the home side led 2-0 through goals from MJ Patterson and Craig McKenzie. But into the second half and the comeback began with the visitors pulling one goal back and it stayed that way until the last five minutes when the visitors scored an amazing four times to run out 5-2 winners. The winning goals were scored by Arron McDonald (2), John McKinnon (2) and Darren Robertson.

New Pitsligo travelled to face Burghead and the away side took the lead after just two minutes through an own goal. Neil Christie then doubled their lead. The home side pulled one back before Michael Fraser regained their two-goal advantage when he converted a penalty.

Raymond Taylor and Neil Christie made it 5-1 to the visitors. The home side scored another two but it was New Pitsligo who booked their place in the final.

In the other semi-final Bishopmill Villa travelled to Longside to face Clinton Thistle and there were few chances in the first half with both teams cancelling each other out.

Into the second half and Clinton had two glorious chances but failed to convert, then the only goal of the game came from the visitors to book their spot in the final.


Saturday, September 6 -Deejays Nightclub League - Clinton Thistle v Mormond Thistle, Faithlie United v New Deer.

Ship Inn Cup semi final - Mintlaw v New Pitsligo (all matches 2pm kick off).

Meanwhile, in the North East Timber Supplies Buchan League, Hatton faced Balmoor in their last league game of the season and in a high scoring match the home side ran out out 8-4 winners. The winning goals came from James Bain (5) and one each from Matthew Cowie, Greg Hastie and an own goal.

Replying for the visitors was Michael Waddell (3) and Mark Cordiner.

Longside Thistle faced Hatton for a place in the final and it ended in a comfortable 5-2 win for the visitors. The winning scorers were Matthew Cowie, Ally Thomson (pen), Martyn Duncan and two own goals, with David Fraser and Kyle Watt replying.

The other semi was between Panasonic and Peterhead Pensioners which ended with the home side winning 6-2. Winning scorers were Kevin Park (2), Gavin Brown (2), Jamie Donald and Neil Cameron and for the visitors Fergile McGee (2).