Stonehaven dent Colony Locos title drive

editorial image

Colony Locos took on Stonehaven on Saturday with the home team looking to extend their lead at the top of the A League.

Lawrence and Turriff wide were straightaway causing problems. It was from the Turriff on the right that Colony could have taken the lead. The Stonehaven keeper saving well at the feet of Wood, the visiting keepers first of many excellent stops. It was one way traffic with Lawrence coming close with a freekick and then a Henderson effort just went over the bar. Colony eventually took the lead when Turriff was taken down in the box for a penalty. HENDERSON saw his penalty saved but he tucked away the rebound. The lead didnt last long as a direct ball was tucked away well by Stonehaven. It was against the run of play but was a great finish. Colony came back at the visitors but the ball just wouldn’t go in. The Stonehaven keeper was doing his best to keep his team in it with a string of saves. He however was left helpless when DUGUID fired in a free kick straight into the top corner. Stonehaven were reduced to ten men when the referee decided one of their players took his complaints a bit too far.

The second half started with Colony struggling to get used to the strong wind in their face but the home team continued to create chance after chance but the ball just wouldn’t go in. Then the game was all square as another direct ball and good finish got the away team level.

The game then fell in to a pattern of the home team attacking and the away team breaking forward. As Colony rang the changes they continued to create chance but Stonehaven and their keeper kept Colony out. Lawrence, Duguid and Wood all had chances but their efforts went over the bar or were saved by the Stonehaven Keeper. Wood had a header on target which was tipped over the bar as the Colony corner count continued to rise with the ten men visitors pinned back. With the Park pushing for a winner a poor mistake at the back let the away team in. Again they didn’t waste the opportunity and won the game 3-2.