Unbeaten run brought to an end as Locos win

Inverurie's Martin Bavidge tussles with Marc Dickson.
Inverurie's Martin Bavidge tussles with Marc Dickson.

Asked if there were any positives to take from their defeat on the weekend, Fraserburgh manager Kris Hunter flatly said no.

However, a Man of the Match performance from John Chalmers, and Courtney Cooper’s 100th game for the club surely added a little shine to an otherwise bad day at the office for the former Burgh striker.

Both youngsters have become integral parts of Hunter’s vision at the Bellslea club, a side which blends an experienced defensive unit with pacey wingers and creative midfielders.

It proved for nought on Saturday, though, when Inverurie Loco Works continued to press their claim for bringing the Highland League title to Harlaw Park.

Having brought in big name players in the summer, the likes of former Peterhead record signing Martin Bavidge, it was always going to be an ask for Fraserburgh to find a result.

For 45 minutes, however, the Burgh battled with the Locos on equal footing, and looked the most likely to score going into half-time, Scott Barbour challenging Inverurie stopper Andy Reid and his back four on several occasions with good footwork.

Graham Johnston, similarly, worked his magic with a free-kick 25-yards out which may have been helped over the bar by the gusty conditions in the Broch.

The deadlock continued until the 73rd minute when Bavidge won a penalty from Marc Dickson, the Burgh man adjudged to have handled in the box. Dean Donaldson, brought in from Keith, calmly slotted it past Paul Leask in the Burgh goal to convert.

Deflated, and fighting into a strong wind, the Burgh pressed to find an equaliser, but, despite several good runs from PA Bruce, brought on as a substitute, and the industrious work of Neil Main in the centre of the park, they found it impossible to find a way past a very physical Inverurie side.

The visitors doubled their lead 10 minutes before the break when Donaldson found his second, poking a ball beyond Leask for his brace.

On a day when decisions never went Fraserburgh’s way, an unbeaten run that had lasted since November was brought to an end. With little time to lament as fixtures begin to pile up, Hunter will be focusing his sights on a result over Strathspey Thistle this coming Saturday.

The FFC Supporters Club will run a bus to the game leaving the harbour offices at 11am, February 15.