United close in on promotion

editorial image
Share this article

Fraserburgh United took a huge step to promotion, and kept their title hopes alive, on Saturday as they defeated New Elgin by three goals at a blustery Nicol-Togneri Park.

The victory may also have given United a slight psychological edge - the teams are due to meet in the MTM Construction Cup final on June 2.

After watching his side’s win, Broch manager Gary Sim said: “It was imperative that we got thee points to keep the pressure on Inverness. I asked the lads at the beginning of the month that we would need four wins out of four and so far they have been magnificent, we now need to win at Dufftown which has always been a tricky game.

“With regards to today match: we expected, and got, a tough game from New Elgin. It’s a very difficult place to get a result but once we got the second goal I thought we looked quite comfortable.”

United made a couple of changes from their win against Inverness as Neil Hay and Andrew Ritchie dropped out for Liam Rollo and Fraser Davidson.

Fraserburgh kicked off into a stiff wind, but could not make much headway. Elgin too were struggling to get any fluency going, so it was a bit of a surprise when United took the lead on 10 minutes.

Broch’s Taylor whipped in great delivery that Davidson flicked on into the far top corner to give United the lead.

United could have had another goal on 21 minutes.

A lightening counter-attack saw Taylor and Rollo combine to play Bisset in, but his shot was well blocked by Wilkinson.

This brief flurry of excitement soon gave way to a more plodding period in the game as both sides struggled to assert their authority.

The second half found Broch in much hungrier mood. Straight from the off they pressed and harried their opponents.

Fraserburgh’s second goal came via a contentious penalty decision 20 minutes from full0time.

Darren Ross played in a deep cross that saw Innes being wrestled to the ground by Munro.

Referee Mason had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, finding himself surrounded by Elgin players, but, notably, the alleged infringer - Munro - did not argue with the decision. Fraser Watt stepped up to send Wilkinson the wrong way and double the Broch’s lead.

United sent on McLeman, Lawrence and C. Ritchie in an effort to put the game out of sight and Lawrence immediately caused the Elgin defence trouble. On 81 minutes, his lovely lobbed pass put Bisset through on goal but he dragged his shot-come-cross just evaded Lawrence’s effort.

United wrapped the game up on 86 minutes. Forbes played a great ball to Lawrence whose lovely first time pass sent Rollo through on goal. Wilkinson rushed out and succeeded in forcing him wide but Rollo managed to clip in a cross that Bisset dove in and headed home from fully one-yard out to cap a good Broch performance.

United now face Dufftown away in their final league game on Saturday, May 26.

Fraserburgh United’s final game of the season is the MTM Construction Cup final which is being played at Colony Park, Inverurie, on June 2. Anyone interested in going to the final should contact Gordon Laird on 01346 516828.