United continue to struggle

UNITED: Fraserburgh United's fine form from last season seems to have disappeared.
UNITED: Fraserburgh United's fine form from last season seems to have disappeared.

Fraserburgh United hosted FC Stoneywood in their second league game of the season at College Park on Saturday, looking to break a run of seven defeats.

United’s injury ravaged defence suffered another blow when Reid was ruled out earlier in the week with a hamstring tweak. His absence added to Hay, Noble and Daz Ross meant that promising youngster Daniel Cowie had to fill in as a makeshift full back alongside the returning Innes.

After a great opening hour which saw United leading 3-1, the Broch staged an unbelievable collapse to throw away the game. The loss was compounded by Andrew Ritchie’s petulant sending off.

The game kicked off in glorious sunshine and Stoneywood threatened within a minute, McKechnie robbed Forbes and played in Stainer whose early effort was brilliantly tipped onto the bar and away for a corner by Sinclair.

United responded immediately by taking a shock lead on 3mins. A clearance from Innes found Bisset on the halfway line and he switched play to Falconer whose excellent first touch saw him race clear of Stevenson and loft the ball over Humphrey in the Stoneywood goal to open the scoring.

The breathless start to the game continued when United went further in front. On 11 minutes, Cowie picked out Falconer and his flick-on allowed Bisset to finish in style by thumping the ball high past Humphrey.

Just as United looked to have held onto half-time, Stoneywood got back in it. A cross from Skinner on the left saw the ball half cleared to Stainer and he rifled the ball underneath Sinclair from eight yards.

United kicked off the second-half as they did the first and scored a superb third on 52 minutes. Rollo rescued the ball on the left flank and slipped the ball into Falconer 25 yards out, who, immediately, played a lovely 1-2 with Bisset before finishing with a right foot drive across Humphreys.

Then came a final half-hour of madness.

Stoneywood hauled themselves back into the game on 59 minutes. A simple corner from McKechnie saw Stevenson drift away from Forbes and bullet a header into the net.

Barely three minutes later, a long cross-field ball over the United defence found substitute Johnson who raced in and smashed the ball beyond Sinclair.

With United reeling, Stoneywood continued to punch forward and grabbed the lead on 70 minutes.

Dawson drew a foul from Innes 24 yards out for Ralton to step up for the free-kick. His effort took a huge deflection off the Broch wall to trundle past Sinclair into the far corner.

As the game slowly slipped away from Fraserburgh, frustrations boiled over and Andrew Ritchie left his team out to dry after being ordered off for a foul mouthed rant at referee Glennie.

The result was never in doubt when Stoneywood grabbed a fifth on 79 minutes with Anderson tapping home a Stevenson cross.

An almost identical goal followed for Stoneywood’s sixth, this time Stainer was on the end of the low left wing cross.

Right on full-time Dawson wrapped up the scoring against a down trodden Broch side when he swept home from the edge of the box.