United hit Buckie for 7

Fraserburgh United recorded a lopsided, emphatic victory against bottom-of-the-table Buckie Rovers in the PMAC North Region Division 1 at College Park on Saturday.

The victory maintains Fraserburgh United’s three-point advantage at the top of the table, but they were made to work by a resilient Rovers side that capitulated meekly after conceding the first goal on the hour mark and, in the end, shipped seven goals by the 90th minute.

United made a couple of changes as David Ross, Neil Hay and Graeme McLeman came into the side for Alan Reid, Danni Buchan and Ewan Taylor.

As could be predicted traffic was pretty much one way toward the Rovers goal as United dominated the early exchanges. A Fraser Watt effort skimming the bar the best of the opening 10mins.

United’s first real chance came on 13 minutes when Bisset’s whipped corner found A. Ritchie piling into the box but his point blank header was brilliantly stopped by Anderson in the Rovers’ goal and the ball was cleared off the line by Matheson.

The Broch spurned a great chance on 23 minutes when Daz Ross’ through ball put Bisset clear and the nippy forward unselfishly squared to Watt who dallied before finding his effort blocked by Anderson, the ball then broke to Bisset 6-yards out but his shot was blocked on the line by Davies and the spun up on to the bar and away for a corner.

Rovers offered little in an attacking sense as they worked hard to frustrate the Broch attack and the tactics were working well as United became ragged and dis-jointed. The introduction of Liam Rollo for the injured Andrew Ritchie just before half time gave United a much needed boost and they almost stole the lead right on half time with sub Rollo just failing to connect to Hay’s left wing cross.

United continued to probe for an opener in the second half but were continually discouraged by Buckie’s resolute defending, with Neil Hay passing up the best chance of the day to add to United’s frustrations. Hay made a great run down the left and swapped passes with Watt to find himself in on goal but the young full back blazed horribly over. Just as it appeared United were going to have another ‘one of those games’ they finally made the breakthrough just after the hour mark.

Forbes ball wide found sub Rollo on the right, his jinking run took him past both Matheson and Jones and his cut back from the by-line found Bisset whose first time effort zipped past Anderson and into the far corner of the net.

The body languages of both sets of players could not have been more conflicting, the obvious relief f United versus the dejection of the Buckie players.

United did not have long to wait to double their lead. McLeman won a corner on the left and Bisset’s corner to the back post saw Davey Ross leap highest and head back over Anderson, and despite Matheson’s best efforts to clear the ball referee Davidson correctly motioned that the ball had crossed the line.

Incredibly United then scored three more goals in 7 minutes. On 69 minutes, Dunbar’s long free-kick saw Innes flick the ball on where Watt superbly volleyed home from 12-yards.

United grabbed a fourth immediately. Broch substitute Ewan Taylor stole possession on the half-way line from Thain and played a delightful slide rule pass beyond the Rovers defence where Bisset scampered clear and tucked the ball beyond the beleaguered Buckie keeper.

On 76 minutes Watt grabbed his 2nd and his teams 5th goal. This time McLeman received the ball from Forbes and took two attempts to flick the ball over the shell-shocked Rovers’ defence to Bisset and United’s marksman rounded Anderson to grab his 12th goal of the season.

Insult was added to injury on 83 minutes when United grabbed a 6th and Neil Forbes poked home his 1st of the season. Davey Ross’ ball was flicked on by Forbes to Bisset who, in turn, fed Watt while Forbes continued his run.

Watt slipped a lovely ball into th path of Forbes and the chunky midfielder clipped the ball past Anderson.

The rout was completed on 87 minutes when Hay drew a foul from Thain 25-yards out. Noble stepped up to curl a great free-kick beyond Anderson to complete the scoring.

United manager Gary Sim spoke afterwards: “We knew that if we kept plugging away and didn’t lose composure that the goal would come.

“I have to credit Buckie with a super battling performance, for an hour they didn’t play like they are struggling in the league.

“I think the score was a tad harsh on them but with that said we need all the goals we can muster just now.

“We now have 7 games to go with only one of those at home so it’s going to be a real tough run in.

“I’m confident in my squad and look forward to the next game at Burghead,” the manager added.

Fraserburgh United travel to Burghead on Saturday, April 7, on league business.

For the latest news on Fraserburgh United and for more information about the team, visit their website at www.fraserburghutd.co.uk.

Be sure to visit our website at www.fraserburghherald.co.uk to comment on this and many other sports stories, and show your support to Fraserburgh United as they look to win the PMAC North Region Division 1.