United through as Glens pay penalty

Fraserburgh United and Glentanar met in the 1st Round of the MTM Morrison Cup at Woodside, Aberdeen on Saturday.

The sides could not be separated after 90mins and the dreaded penalty shoot out was required where the Broch triumphed 8-7 after an amazing 19 penalties each.

United started the game well, a quick through ball from Taylor almost found Watt through on goal but Glens’ keeper McLennan was out quick to clear the danger.

United made an early breakthrough on 7mins. A Glentanar attack was halted when Dunbar claimed Attinasi’s cross and he launched the ball up-field where Glens’ defenders Rennie and Scott got in a tangle and the ball broke to Fraser Watt who raced clear and brilliantly clipped the ball past the onrushing McLennan and into the net for the opener.

The goal stung Glentanar, but they forced themselves back into the game with some neat football and pressure on the shaky looking United back four.

A fine move involving Askew and Gray saw the former knock down Morrison’s cross into the box for Gray but Daz Ross did just enough to force Gray wide and his shot from an acute angle rippled the side netting.

Glentanar almost equalised on 22mins when Scott set Askew free on the inside left but his early shot was comfortably held by Dunbar.

Glentanar eventually regained parity on 27mins. A simple long punt from Askew into the United box saw Dunbar drop the ball under slight pressure from Gray and Shanks latched onto the loose ball to thump home.

Askew passed up a golden opportunity just before halftime when Knowles cross found him unmarked 10yards out but his touch was poor and Reid nipped in to clear.

United started the second half in much more determined fashion. Bisset fired just wide from 25yards and then moments later Buchan nipped in at the back post but could not connect with Taylor’s cross.

Glentanar responded on 56mins and Shanks should have done better than fire over from 16yards when gifted the chance by Knowles cutback.

United continued to press and got their reward on 63mins. Iain Bisset was crudely hacked down by Rennie 27yards out. Rennie received a caution but worse was to follow for his team. United’s Noble curled a peach of a free-kick over the Glentanar wall and into the bottom corner of Morrison’s goal to give the Broch the lead.

With their tales up United almost increased their lead with two chances in quick succession. Firstly on 69mins Innes just failed to connect with Noble’s headed knock down and then Bisset fired over when in good position.

Glens’ made United rue their missed chances on 71mins. Dine’s shot was deflected into the path of Adams and despite the tight angle managed to fire through Dunbar to bring parity.

United replaced Buchan and A. Ritchie with McLeman and Rollo but Glens now had the momentum and sub Muirhead should have won the game on 85mins when he wriggled free in the box but his shot shaved the outside of Dunbar’s post to send the game to penalties.

The opening 5 penalties each saw Gray miss for Glentanar and Taylor send the ball into orbit for United and so the penalties went to sudden death. With the next 4 penalties scored by United (including one from keeper Dunbar), the Broch number one guessed correctly for Rennie’s spot-kick and pushed the ball wide to spark celebrations and a tie with local rivals Buchanhaven Hearts in the next round at College Park on Saturday 14th April.

United are back to league business as they are at home to Buckie Rovers this Saturday, March 31, in the PMAC Division 1.

For more Broch United news, visit www.fraserburghutd.co.uk.