Victoria Coaches Cup clinched by New Pitsligo

editorial image

The final of the Victoria Coaches Cup final kicked off on a frosty night and it was Pitsligo who had the first chance .

A shot from P. Stewart headed straight for C. Stewart in the Clinton goal which was easily saved.

Clinton came close when a Noble freekick was floated in to the Pitsligo box and Aitkenhead’s header went narrowly wide of the goals.

They took the lead however after tenminutes when a Willie Noble strike was deflected into the Pitsligo goal past Simpson. A corner by the same played bobbled about inside the box then was deflected onto the post and away.

Taylor curled a corner in a corner and the ball fell to Stephen 112 yards out but he dragged his left foot shot wide.

Pitsligo drew level on the half-hour mark when a Taylor shot was half saved by Stewart and Michael Fraser was first to react to slid in to push the ball over the line.

Fraser created space for a shot on the edge of the box but his shot was gathered well by Stewart.

Last chance of the first half fell to Clinton when Sim picked the ball up and weaved past three players but dragged his shot wide of the goal.

Into the second half and Barbour and Noble played a neat one-two in the Pitsligo box and it ended with a Noble cross which Wisley did well to deflect out for a corner which was cleared by Innes.

New Pitsligo took the lead with the help of the Clinton keeper who fumbled a Gilbert Stephen shot into his own net.

Cassie nearly extended their lead when he fired in a low drive which Stewart made a good diving save.

A brilliant last ditch tackle by Reid prevented Taylor getting his shot away inside the box. Fraser then saw his shot from 20 yards crash of the top of the bar.

A good 30 yard run down the left by Reekie was halted 25 yards from goal. Up stepped Raymond Taylor and he curled the ball round the wall in to the corner of the net to give Pitsligo a two-goal lead.

Clinton hit back when a Sim cross was met by Barbour but his shot was turned round the post by Simpson.

Reid sent a dangerous cross along the six yard box but there were no takers. On 80 minutes Clinton pulled one goal back when a Noble cross was turned in at the back post by Barbour.

With Clinton pushing forward Pitsligo’s Lawson was set clear and he made a delightful lobb from outside the box over Stewart and into the net to restore their two-goal lead.

Last chance of the game Milne saw his free kick come back off the post.

In an even first half with few clear chances being created, it was down to the second half in which Pitsligo created a few more clear chances and go on to win the last cup of the season.

The league would like to thank Ewan Mowat of Victoria Coaches for his continued sponsorship of the North East Scotland football league.

Clinton Thistle: Stewart, Reid, Robertson, Fowlie, Aitkenhead, Milne, Noble, Sim, Cowe, Martin, Barbour Subs: Robertson, Whyte, Slater

New Pitsligo: Simpson, Black, Buchan, Wisley, Innes, Cassie, Taylor, Fraser, Stephen, Stewart, Reekie Subs: Robertson, Mitchell, Buchan, Lawson, Wilson