Weather continues to wreak havoc on footie

READY: The Broch will hope to host Cove Rangers on December 29, weather permitting.
READY: The Broch will hope to host Cove Rangers on December 29, weather permitting.
Share this article

Highland League fans were again left out in the cold this weekend as postponements saw just two games go ahead as scheduled on Saturday.

Missing out on another week of football, having just played twice in December thus far, the Broch’s fixture against Cove Rangers was made impossible due to a morning inspection.

It had been hoped, after a windy night, that the pitch would be playable. Elsewhere, it was much of the same, with waterlogged pitches causing wide-spread disruption in the league.

In all, just two games survived the wintry weather, the table all but frozen. Rothes hosted Strathspey Thistle in a damp affair, the challenges as strong as the wind.

Neither team looked overly confident of the three points, Rothes leaving it late in the game before even trying to trouble their opponent’s goal.

By that point, however, Strathspey had went ahead, Gavin Chisolm firing in a low show from the edge of the area after a clearance from a corner which beat Greg Sim in the Rothes goal.

As a result of the victory, Strathspey overtake Rothes in the Highland League table, moving to nine points with only their second away win of the campaign.

Rothes, meanwhile, find themselves two from bottom on six points.

Huntly met Keith in the other, surviving fixture.

Rain and wind continued to trouble the play, however, the pitch proving a less than ideal playing surface for either team.

For a depleted Huntly side, with Andrzej-Slawomir Kleczkowski and Marek Mádle both away for Christmas, goals were always going to be difficult to come by.

Keith, meanwhile, playing their first Highland League game in four weeks, looked to have spent the time off well, thumping their hosts for three goals.

And Keith wasted no time in trying to wrap up the points early.

Cammy Keith latched onto a ball from Andrew MacAskill upfield before firing his shot past Neil Hastie in the Huntly goal for 1-0.

They doubled their lead before the break, with MacAskill playing in Jonathan Smith who, taking the shot from an angle, also beat Hastie.

Huntly substituted their strip in the second-half, emerging in their away kit following a first-half of unrelenting conditions, the result all but away from the hosts.

Any chance of a comeback was ended early into the second-half when Cammy Keith doubled his tally.

Ross Campbell was seen to have been clipped by Sam McKenzie in the box, Keith taking and converting the penalty for his 12th of the season.

Game over, Huntly netted in the final 20 minutes following a set-piece, Patrick Vigurs heading in from a free-kick.

Huntly went on to have a penalty waved away just minutes later, before Vigurs saw his second attempt on goal cleared by Stewart Hutcheon.

As a result, Keith move onto level points with Fraserburgh (20), with Huntly on 22.

The Broch, meanwhile, in 12th position, will host last weekend’s scheduled opponents, Cove Rangers, at the Bellslea on December 29, with all eyes on the forecast.