Weekend action from around the North-east football clubs

IN THE Deejays Nightclub League, Mormond Thistle faced league leaders St Combs and produced the performance of their season so far.

The home side took the lead on five minutes when some good work by Farman saw his cross find Ross Brown who fired home.

A few minutes later it should have been their second goal when they broke upfield. They had three attackers to one defender but Farman decided to shoot and fired wide of the goals.

Ross Brown fired in a fierce shot which was deflected and Gordon made a brilliant save.

The home side doubled their lead on 18 minutes when an Urquhart header fell to Farman who this time blasted home.

Nicky Tait had a chance to pull a goal back when St Combs were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Mormond penalty box but Calum Brown saved.

Ross Cardno was unlucky when he smashed a shot goalwards but Brown got a hand to it to push onto the bar and clear. Tait came close again for the away side but he saw his shot smash against the crossbar and away.

On 42 minutes Mormond scored for a third time when a passback mix-up between the St Combs defence and goalkeeper left Raymond Taylor an empty net to leave the home side three up at half time.

St Combs came out quickly in the second half and Stephen came close with a drive from the right side of the Mormond goals.

On 53 minutes a long ball by Tait was headed across goal by sub John Smith leaving Ross Cardno an easy header to pull one goal back.

Smith and R. Brown both had shots but Gordon dealt with ease. Daniel Scott was then sent off for a second caution.

St Combs pulled another goal back when Cardno picked the ball up on the edge of the box and he fired a left foot drive into the bottom corner of the net.

The home side went down to nine men after Martin Burnett was then sent off making it very hard for the home side but this spurred them on.

R. Brown beat Gordon to the ball but Buchan got back to clear. John Smith should have drawn the away side level when a Cardno cross came in and he managed to put wide from close range.

The home side scored a fourth when Raymond Taylor picked out Cassie at the back post and he made no mistake with his finish and then with two minutes remaining Taylor was the creator again when his cross found Farman at the back post and he finished the move off to end a brilliant performance by the home side.

Elizabethan Link Up entertained Cheers in their league match and the away side collected another three points after winning by 3-1.

The winning goals were scored by Mark Atkinson, Graeme McLeman and Ryan Thomson while replying for the home side was Neil Holland.

Clinton Thistle moved up a couple of places to second after a narrow win over New Deer.

The away side took the lead on the half-hour mark with a goal from Willie Robbie but only kept their lead for a few minutes when Gilbert Patterson scored for Clinton.

It stayed that way until midway through the second half when Gilbert Patterson scored for a second time to give the home side all three points.

Bellslea had St Drostans as visitors and the home side got back to winning ways by scoring five goals without reply.

The scorers were Scott Falconer and Jamie Buchan both netting a double each and the other came from a 25-yard volley from Aarron gall.

Rosehearty Thistle faced Bellslea in a league game and the away side hit the magic dozen scoring 12 without reply. Scorers were Scott Falconer hit a double hatrick and one each from Bob Stephen, Jamie Buchan, Daryl Allan, Harry Stewart, Aaron Gall and an own goal.

New Pitsligo played hosts to Cheers in another league match and the match finished with the home side winning by three goals to one.

The winning goals came from Shaun Jamieson with a brace and the other from Neil Christie and replying for the visitors was Scott Buchan.

St Combs faced St Drostans in their league game and in a high scoring match the home side went on to win by 7-3.

The home scorers were Ross Cardno with a hatrick, John Smith netting a brace and one apiece from Peter Bruce and James Cardno and replying for the visitors were Jake West with a brace and one from Derek Mathieson.

In the third round of the Highland Cup Faithlie United faced neighbours Elizabethan Link Up.

The home side took the lead on 12 minutes when a Garden shot was parried and Andy McKay followed up to score.

Dimitrov made a good stop from a Whyte free kick and he came to the home side’s rescue when he made saves from Daniel Reid and Andy McKay.

From a corner Daniel Reid rose above the Link Up defence to head number two in. John McKinnon added a third before half time.

Holland was unlucky for Link Up when he beat his marker but his shot went just over the bar.

In the second half a cross from Kirkov was volleyed by Cassie but Coyle in the home goal made a good save.

A few minutes later a Cassie header was cleared off the line by a Faithlie defender. John McKinnon added a fourth with a near post finish.

A brilliant finish from Martin Anderson made it 5-0.

Link Up kept going and a Holland shot was brilliantly saved by Coyle. A mistake by Dimitrov let in Bruce Strachan to score number six.

Link Up did get a goal with two minutes remaining when a corner was swung across Marty Robertson fired over Coyle to finish the scoring.

Home keeper Dimitrov was in outstanding form throughout the match. Faithlie now wait to see who they face in the quarter-final.


Deejays Nightclub League -Mormond Thistle 5, St Combs 2; Elizabethan Link Up 1, Cheers 3; Clinton Thistle 2, New Deer 1; St Combs 7, St Drostans 3; Rosehearty Thistle 0, Bellslea 12; New Pitsligo 3, Cheers 1.

Highland Cup third round - Faithlie United 6, Elizabethan Link Up 1.

Fixtures for Tuesday, June 26:

Brucklay Cup quarter-final -Bellslea v Faithlie United (kick-off 7pm).

Saturday, June 30:

League - New Deer v Elizabethan Link Up; Faithlie United v Mormond Thistle (kick-off 2pm).