Invercairn turn on the style to win Victoria Coaches Cup final

editorial image

The game started in near perfect conditions and it was Pitsligo who were first on the attack with both Stephen and N Christie winning headers but couldn’t finish them off.

Invercairn’s first chance was an overhead kick by JJ Sim which went high over the bar. Simpson was quick off his line to prevent Martin getting in on goal.

At the other end a long ball forward was headed on by Stephen and N Christie shot was heading for the top corner but Pirie made a fantastic save.

The same two created another chance but Pirie saved at his near post. Rennie floated in a free kick from the half way line and Pirie did well to punch clear under pressure.

Invercairn took the lead on 17 minutes after a Jamie Forman corner was cleared out as far as Barbour who crossed and Martin shot goalwards but his shot was brilliantly saved by Simpson but Forman followed up to score.

Six minutes later it was 2 nil to Invercairn when Arron Gall fired home a shot from the edge of the box which found the bottom corner of the net. Pitsligo then made a change with Wisley replacing Whyte. From a Davidson corner Stephen headed goalwards but Pirie held easily. Just on the stroke of half time a Pitsligo corner was swung across and R Christie headed just over the bar.

Just after the restart Invercairn went further ahead when Barbour collected the ball at the edge of the box and with 3 defenders around him, he managed to drill the ball low into the corner of the net.

With Pitsligo pushing forward a M Fraser shot was blocked on the line by Cardno then a corner by Davidson saw N Christie come close just firing past the post. A long range shot by R Christie went well past the post. Jamie martin had a great chance to make it 4 but when he was played in on goal he dragged his shot and it was easily cleared. Pitsligo was then reduced to 10 men after Ryan Christie was sent off for committing an offence inside the box.

Invercairn then were awarded a penalty and up stepped Stuart Stephen to lash home the fourth goal. Jamie Martin should have added another after some great work by the man of the match JJ Sim who rolled the ball across the goal but Martin miss hit his shot and it was cleared.

With time running out a Pitsligo break up field saw Davidson try and lobb Pirie in the Invercairn goal but it went over the bar. The game ended with Invercairn being the convincing winners.

Summing Up-New Pitsligo started the game the better team but after the first goal Invercairn were always in control.

All players played their part in their second cup win this season especially winger John James Sim who was awarded the man of the match trophy.

The NESFA Football league would like to thank Ewan Mowatt from Victoria Coaches for presenting the trophies and for their continued support of the NESFA league.

New Pitsligo: Simpson, Harley, Black, Rennie, R Christie, Whyte, M Fraser, Smith, Stephen, N.

Christie, Davidson. Subs: J Fraser, Mitchell, Wisely, Alexander, Reekie

Invercairn United: Pirie, Herron, Cardno, F Stephen, S Stephen, Gall, Barbour, Sim, Martin, Forman, Tait

Subs: G Paterson Snr, Park, Strachan, Farquhar, Duthie

Fixtures for Saturday, 5 March, Scottish Cup Quarter Final-ko 2pm-Clinton Thistle v Kincardine.