Broch into play-offs

With the league nearing its conclusion, Fraserburgh moved into the promotion places with a 10-wicket victory over a much changed Gordonians side from the team who knocked them out of the Reid Cup a couple of weeks ago.

It would be fair to say that Fraserburgh’s players were eagerly anticipating the game, having not completed a league fixture since the end of June, and they got off to a good start when captain for the day Fraser Lawrance won the toss and chose to bowl first.

Lawrance and Alan Rennie opened the bowling, and it didn’t take long for wickets to fall. A catch from Ryan Duthie from Rennie’s bowling saw the opening batsman dismissed for 6, and Rennie was soon in the act again when he bowled the batsman in his next over.

Rennie was clearly in a dominating mood, as he had a good lbw shout controversially turned down to signal the end of his spell.

At the other end, Lawrance was bowling well and economically, and was unlucky not to pick up a wicket or two himself.

The openers had established a good foundation for the other bowlers to take advantage of, so when Ryan Duthie and Andrew Henderson were given the ball they were under relatively little pressure.

Duthie started his spell with a few wides, but gradually grew into his rhythm and was bowling a lot better in his 3rd and 4th overs.

Henderson on the other hand started well, but became less consistent. He was hit for a couple of 6s, but another attempt at a big hit was skied and a quick piece of fielding from the wicket-keeper Paul O’Neill resulted in a catch. Henderson’s next over also produced a wicket; the batsman beaten by spin edged it to Mark Oldam at slip.

The openers returned to complete their allocation of overs, and managed to take another three wickets between them all the while bowling economically - both Rennie and Lawrance produced 6 maidens each.

Lawrance finished with figured of 1-15, and Rennie finished with 4-13 both from 12 overs.

The ball was then given to part-timer Cory Bowie to try and take advantage of the tail-enders, and Fraserburgh couldn’t have asked for more. B

owie took two wickets in first over - one clean bowled and the other a casual catch from Henderson - before rounding off the innings with the first ball of his second.

He took three wickets without conceding a single run to set Fraserburgh a total of 85 for victory.

Fraserburgh’s opening batsmen were justifiably confident that they would comfortably chase down the total - having only posted one total lower than 85 all season.

Even then, Cory Bowie and Garry O’Neill wasted no time in going about their business. After O’Neill was dropped on his second ball, they never looked in trouble.

Bowie reached his personal 50 just a couple of runs short of the team’s victory, eventually reaching 56 NO while O’Neill reached 21 NO for a 10-wicket victory that saw 14 boundaries.

The win saw Fraserburgh move up to 3rd in the league with four games to play, and with two of those games against the two sides above them, may harbor ambitions of climbing further up the league in their 150th year.

Next week sees Fraserburgh travel to Methlick, who are currently lounging in mid-table obscurity.

The club would like to invite everyone to a quiz night to raise funds for the club, that will take place at the Clansman on Friday, September 7. It will start at 7:30pm, at £10 for a team of four.