Fast-moving karting action galore from Boyndie circuit

Senior Max - 11-Ross Shearer, 62 - Liam Souter, 88 - Liam Ross.
Senior Max - 11-Ross Shearer, 62 - Liam Souter, 88 - Liam Ross.

The second round of GKC’s Boyndie Drome Open Championship took place at the Banff circuit on Sunday, May 11.

Heavy rain had swept overnight but by the time racing started the sun was out which dried the circuit.

The dominant Honda Cadet driver in the north, Abbie Munro, did it again by taking a lights to flag victory over a large field of cadets.

Behind her were Ben MacLeod, Craig Mann, Jonathon Edwards, Ben Burnett and Aiden Welch. Welch got the better of Burnett on the second tour. Edwards retied to the pits on lap four due to loosing his chain guard.

The order remained static with MacLeod taking second followed by Mann, Welch and Burnett. Sixth was Logan Mann. A good dice between Ewan Johnston and Adam Kinmond saw them swap places numerous times and it was Johnston that got the nod at the flag. Ninth was Logan Blake followed home by Callum Welch.

In a spread out Junior Max final, Cameron Colville grabbed the early lead and was never headed. He was followed home by Robbie Souter, Cameron McPhee and Reece Gillan.

Two Banff lads, Ross Shearer and Liam Souter were the dominant pair in the Senior Max final. Pole man Shearer led from the lights and Souter was never far away but could not get along side to challenge for the lead.

Liam Ross had a steady run to come home in third. An early tussle between Michael Christie and Kieran Smart resulted in the latter coming home in fourth. Connor Wilson was next home after getting past Christie at mid-point of the final. Christie took sixth ahead of Lewis Rae and Samuel Ashton.

A large entry of drivers in the popular prokart class saw A and B finals.

The B final saw young Ben Gordon and Robert Forsythe have a race long battle with Gordon taking the chequered flag. Ross Raffan took third followed by Scott Murray.

The A final got underway with Ryan Cannon taking the early lead from Jack Tulloch. This pair soon edged away from the pack. Tulloch took the lead on the second tour where he remained to the chequered flag with Cannon not far from his bumper.

Changes galore, in the pack, and at the end of the first lap the order was Adrian McKinnon, Stuart Dalgarno, Stuart Wyness, Mark Wyness, Steven Donald and Michael Ogilvie. Five different drivers held third during the race and it was Mark Wyness who was in the position at the end lap two which he held for four tours. Next for the position was James Paterson who had made his way through the pack from fourteenth. Next lap Michael Ogilvie was in the spot and held it for three laps but the decisive move belonged to Steven Allen who was third at the chequered flag. To many passes to mention them all but at the finish the order was fourth Ogilvie followed home by M Wyness, S Wyness, Dalgarno, Donald, Dave Gilchrist and Brett Cowan.

Ian Duncan got the best start in the KZ2 UK (Gearbox)section and was closely followed by Neil Anderson, Ryan Magennes and Derek Kinghorn.

Anderson kept Duncan honest throughout the race but Duncan edged it at the chequered flag. Magennes ran in third until lap seven when Kinghorn took the position to claim third spot on the podium.


Honda Cadets

1st – Abbie Munro (Bonar Bridge), 2nd – Ben MacLeod (Evanton)

3rd – Craig Mann (Aberdeen)

Junior Max

1st – Cameron Colville (Locherbie), 2nd – Robbie Souter (Dyce)

3rd – Cameron McPhee (Inverurie)

Senior Max

1st – Ross Shearer (Banff), 2nd – Liam Souter (Banff),

3rd – Liam Ross (Inverurie)


1st – Jack Tulloch (Grantown), 2nd Ryan Cannon (Leven),

3rd – Steven Allen (Huntly)

KZ2 UK (Gearbox)

1st – Ian Duncan (Aberchirder), 2nd – Neil Anderson (Insch)

3rd – Derek Kinghorn (Rothienorman)

Angela Masson, previous club chair, presented trophies in clubhouse after the meeting.

Next race meeting takes place on Sunday, June 8.

See website for more details.